• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New gap denim

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pseudonym
The F/W '09 line looks much better than past lines.

The grey denim looks good, but if GAP keeps to their ways, it'll fit horrendously.

I've been wearing grays for a week now and I feel they are pretty solid. The straight leg requires they be worn with boots, which is fine as long as you know this going in. They are quite low rise, which works with the heavy vanity sizing as they have to sit on your hips. Slim, straight, not skinny, low rise, good color.

They fit very much like a Slim Jim, I think, which is a pretty solid cut.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
I've been wearing grays for a week now and I feel they are pretty solid. The straight leg requires they be worn with boots, which is fine as long as you know this going in. They are quite low rise, which works with the heavy vanity sizing as they have to sit on your hips. Slim, straight, not skinny, low rise, good color.

They fit very much like a Slim Jim, I think, which is a pretty solid cut.

Good to hear.

Do you happen to have any fit pics? The boots part have me going a bit ehh, tbh.

They would work great with DBs, but I was thinking of getting a gray pair for everyday wear.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pseudonym
Good to hear.

Do you happen to have any fit pics? The boots part have me going a bit ehh, tbh.

They would work great with DBs, but I was thinking of getting a gray pair for everyday wear.

Haven't taken any pics yet. I've worn them with desert boots and red wings.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought a pair of the 1969 selvedge standard. I was quite surprised. Very comparable to my RRLs in fit, $68 ($20 off).. If they hold up as well as my RRLs, I may have to keep patronizing them. Tried them on with my Dr. Martens 1460s, they look killer.

Ohhai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylesmurf
I think GAP, like many stores, became a victim of its own success. It started out as a small, hip, and niche brand (hmm.. sound familiar?) and as you sell more and more and put stores all over America, things that appeal and fit to a small demographic (like SF) will not work, and you need to start producing clothing like mad and make things to work well for the general population

Are how did you know that the denim relaunch is going well? (just curious)

I think you are absolutely correct. Additionally when you make a product for the masses and then proceed to make several missteps, you have lost your loyal niche customer as well as the masses who will shop where ever the crowd tells them to.

Gap hasn't made definitive statements as to how the jeans are selling (official lights on was just 5 days ago) but anyone who bought a pair in the first week or so got a punch card with your purchase that had a new program where if you bought 3 pair over the next year, you got one free. Gap had planned to have this program for at least 8 weeks. They gave out the allotment in under 10 days. Not definitive but interesting none the less...

Stores I have been in and spoken with are doing very well.

Also if anyone is into physical marketing and marketing design, the new Gap window displays are fairly cool. Some of the larger stores have these massive 160-180 square foot decals for the jeans. I saw a store yesterday that had 5 of them installed and thought they were impressive, but I'm easily impressed by display marketing.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel
Just bought a pair of the 1969 selvedge standard. I was quite surprised. Very comparable to my RRLs in fit, $68 ($20 off).. If they hold up as well as my RRLs, I may have to keep patronizing them. Tried them on with my Dr. Martens 1460s, they look killer.

Visited the Gap flagship at 34th and Bway in NYC today. The denim options for men were dizzying. Looked like a lot of stock had come in since I was last there 2 weeks ago. I was hoping to try on a whole bunch and give some detailed impressions here but my 2 kids (ages 3 & 4) weren't long on patience today.

There was lots of rigid selvage in the house: skinny, straight, and authentic. I tried on the Straight and Authentic and loved them both. Purchased the Authentic in Rigid Selvage. Quite nice for $68. They're replacing the rinsed selvage Authentic fits I bought on-line a few weeks back.

The Authetic fit with a little bit of abraison and one small hole at the knee were my faves. Had to buy them. Guilty pleasure.

A lot of European tourists seem to be buying up the denim today. Just an observation.

bossman08

Reaction score
^^ The rigid selvage version isn't on the website is it? If so, I don't see it. I'd like to try a pair but my local Gap didn't have them last time I went.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm thinking I'll find nothing at my local Gap. We just have the cheesy mainstream American Mall style Gap around here.

Ohhai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bossman08
^^ The rigid selvage version isn't on the website is it? If so, I don't see it. I'd like to try a pair but my local Gap didn't have them last time I went.

They aren't up on the website. They may have hit the NYC store just today. No other flagship stores I have seen had them as of friday.

Most if not all of the selvage denim is going to be flagship only.

bossman08

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ohhai
They aren't up on the website. They may have hit the NYC store just today. No other flagship stores I have seen had them as of friday.

Most if not all of the selvage denim is going to be flagship only.

Darn...can I call the store and have them ship me a pair?

Thrifter

Reaction score
So I've had the "Selvage authentic fit jeans (dark rinse)" for a couple weeks now... I like em. What exactly does 'dark rinse' mean? Have they 'set' the indigo so I will not get fades/honeycombing on these jeans? I guess they are not Raw, but I'm hoping for some fading like raw denim.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bossman08

Most of the tasty stuff that I saw yesterday is not on the website.

Also, the Buy3 get 1 free card I was given back in July is gonna work out just fine it seems with all of these great fits and finishes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads