• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New gap denim

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**Skinny's marked as "Made in Bangladesh"

jcrewsmcknight

Reaction score
Will these "raw" jeans shrink up at all if I soak them? I'd like them to shrink in the seat a little bit.

cksubs

Reaction score
Seattle flagship had Skinny, Original, and the new "Slim" cuts in the new selvedge. No Straight cuts in Selvedge, so I didn't make a purchase. They were having an in-store-only Buy One, Get One 50% Off sale on all 1969 denim.

Here are a few photos and things to know.

GAP appears to be sizing the inseam by taking the "selvedge cuff" into account (!!!). This is a picture of a 30" selvedge next to a 30" non-selvedge GAP jean in the store. I did my best to line the waists up (off camera). As you can see, the selvedge jeans are 1-2 inches longer due to the fold!

I wear my jeans without the roll-up, so it looks like I need to order a pair marked 28? My usual 30" inseam was noticably too long. Does this match anyone else's experience with these?

The new selvedge does not have rivet reinforced pocket corners. They were hidden, but there, in the old version of this jean.

Weird rivets and waist button. Step back in my opinion, not as classic of a look.

Pockets are nice and flat again, no fake "fold" in the middle.

transient

Reaction score
I stopped by Gap to check out the GQ collection (which was pretty meh). But I did notice they now have slim raw selvedge.

It's really nice, even at retail. I tried +1 from my NS and it fits really similar. Maybe just a tad less slim but the leg taper is also very similar. Denim and stitching feels solid. Patch isn't obnoxious and can be removed. No branding otherwise except rivets and inside of waist. Hardware seems pretty good too although plain. Looks like a really good deal for the price. If I can get a reasonable sale code it I'll probably kop because I don't really care much $200+ denim.

cksubs, your pics are interesting. My store didn't have a sticker pointing out the selvedge line, although they keep them cuffed for display. Gap must be once again be trying to get selvedge out to the unwashed masses. I did notice that inseam size accounts for a single cuff, which is also interesting. I would probably go with my true inseam just to get some minimal stacking and be able to cuff once or twice when I want to.

cksubs

Reaction score
Confirmed: size down 2" in the inseam if you plan on wearing the new selvedge without a cuff.

The 30x28 jeans I just ordered online are almost the exact same size as my 30x30 previous version of this jean.

This is really annoying, because I haven't seen anything shorter than (marked) 30" inseam in stores. So you'll have to order online for (true) 30" or shorter.

Has anyone seen the "Straight" fit in store? I've only seen Skinny/Slim/Original.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They were the same way before. 33x30 had a 32 inch inseam

Let's see some pic's niggas

Last edited:

cksubs

Reaction score
Can't have been true before, because my 30x30 (old) is the exact same size/cut as my 30x28 (new). Waist has always had a vanity size I know.

Note I'm referring to the 2008-2010 or so jeans, not the more recent "****** quality" denim that GAP had for a year or so. That may have had the longer-than-marked inseam.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will these shrink with wash? And stretch with wear?

What have you all done w/ the bleeding? Just wash them when you buy them?

Great price, but seems like they're lacking so much information that we are left undecided as to whether buy or not.

Last edited:

cksubs

Reaction score
Will these shrink with wash? And stretch with wear?

What have you all done w/ the bleeding? Just wash them when you buy them?

Great price, but seems like they're lacking so much information that we are left undecided as to whether buy or not.

Just wear them without washing. The bleeding on mine wasn't terrible... don't wear white shoes or sit on light couches. You'll be fine. The'll definitely stretch with wear.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On gap.com the raw denim looks almost black. What is it like in person? They don't carry it in the store near me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads