• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Game: Date the Advertisement

ROI

Reaction score
Perhaps a different method of posting....

ROI

Reaction score
To add to the delight, I've deleted some of the telltale information (location of stores, phone number, etc.) from below the store logo.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would guess in the "aughts" Say 1908? I say that because looking at the dress of the time, ties don't seem to be as much a part of the uniform as they are now.

From reading the ad, ties are a new thing that are catching on.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I'd agree with Stu. It's either in the aughts or even in the 90s. And I'm basing it on the cheap cost of the ties.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's interesting to note that the terminology for colors was not as well developed as it is today. No periwinkle, alice blue, azure, raspberry; just "red-black-and-white".

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cost of the tie makes me want to date it later, like the 20s, when detachable collars were still a valid, if growingly antique, option.

Duveen

Reaction score
I'd go with the 30s as well. Note that the text says that WOOLEN neckties are catching on in the US, not that neckties are a new thing. The detachable collar language is also telling, though I'll bet that it hung on longer at Brooks than most places.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well let's see, today a basic Brooks tie costs about $50, right? $1.50 is 3% of $50, so that means we need a consumer price index of .03 in 2005 dollars. However, the CPI in 2005 dollars has never been below .04. Conclusion: the ad is a fake.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well let's see, today a basic Brooks tie costs about $50, right? $1.50 is 3% of $50, so that means we need a consumer price index of .03 in 2005 dollars. However, the CPI in 2005 dollars has never been below .04. Conclusion: the ad is a fake.
Maybe BB and other clothing retailers have simply been jacking up the price ahead of other consumer products in the index. It makes sense that luxury goods such as clothing will rise in value faster vis-a-vis other consumer products as a society becomes more prosperous and has more disposable income.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the Necktie Price Index (NPI) is different.

Earthmover

Reaction score
my guess is 1940. print quality looks to good to be turn of the century.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe BB and other clothing retailers have simply been jacking up the price ahead of other consumer products in the index. It makes sense that luxury goods such as clothing will rise in value faster vis-a-vis other consumer products as a society becomes more prosperous and has more disposable income.
It was actually a joke.

mack - I'd like to see some numbers if you've got them.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also -- another clue besides the very useful things others have brought up, such as price and collar, is the distinction between England and the Continent. Obviously it still exists in many ways, but you probably wouldn't see the distinction written in print as you do in the advert. after a certain date. I'd say before WWII and maybe before -- though it's interesting to note that Brooks in another publication circa the 10's or 20's mentions "Europe" rather than the Continent. The Continent seems an antiquated phrase, at least to this American ear. I'm sure it survived in England much longer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads