1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

New frying pan.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Infrasonic, Aug 19, 2010.

1. otc

otc Senior member

Personally, I never use my nonstick on higher than medium heat.

I use mine on high heat for omelets when I am pretending I am julia child:
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

If its good enough for her...

2. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/e...a-skillet.html

Just wanted to throw that out there.

My fiancee and I were looking into buying some pans recently. Neither of us really cooks but she wants to get into it and I was planning on investing in some All Clad despite the fact that we were just starting out. Anyway, she did a bunch of reading on the web and ended up buying a set of these Tramontina pans from Walmart. I know a lot of advice is to never buy a set cause you don't always use everything so it's better to just buy the individual pans but she's the one who would be be using them the most.

Anyway, my point is that she really likes the pans (but again, not much experience).

3. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I use mine on high heat for omelets when I am pretending I am julia child:
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

If its good enough for her...

I use mine on high heat too when making an omelet, but hers looks more like a flat, messed up version.

4. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Senior member

If we're going to go old school lets get to the masters...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edit;?

5. otc

otc Senior member

So old school that people didn't even bother to check if their embedded youtube link worked because youtube didn't exist yet! And yes, I could FTFY but I think people should lean by doing

6. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Senior member

I always lean by doing...[​IMG]

7. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i usually lean by the refrigerator.

8. Scuttlebutt

Scuttlebutt Senior member

A well-seasoned cast iron pan* will do everything you could ask for for a very low price. Yes, it will even do acidic foods like tomato sauce and picatta without leaching the iron taste into your food. The only thing I've found you can't do is boil water and simmer tomato sauces for a long time (both break down the seasoning.

*Griswold, NOT Lodge--the quality in the iron/cooking surface is a bit lower than old Griswolds. Lodge is also heavier to compensate for the lower quality iron that is used. The cooking surface is "coarser" than Griswold (which is very smooth); this translates into better nonstick qualities once the pan is well seasoned.

9. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Edit;?

embed fail notwithstanding, what a treasure trove. thank you.

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Who puts oil in an omelet?

If you're looking for a good non-stick pan Cooks Illustrated just did reviews of 12" non-sticks. Best overall was an All-Clad. Best value was a $20 Tramontina from Wallyworld.

11. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

Who puts oil in an omelet?

If you're looking for a good non-stick pan Cooks Illustrated just did reviews of 12" non-sticks. Best overall was an All-Clad. Best value was a $20 Tramontina from Wallyworld.

actually, the newest number put the TFAL Professional Total Nonstick ($34.99) ahead of all-clad. personally, i just use the heaviest aluminum nonstick i can find at the restaurant supply store. it'll be about $30 and last 4-6 months.

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

What kind of masochist makes an omelette in a cast iron pan? Who wants to shake something that heavy around for a couple of minutes?

13. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Senior member

What kind of masochist makes an omelette in a cast iron pan? Who wants to shake something that heavy around for a couple of minutes?

Please note; correct spelling retards...[​IMG]

14. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

+1 i just had to do a cooking video on frittatas and the only nonstick they had in the kitchen was cast-iron. what a PITA. really made me appreciate my aluminum pan.

15. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

Please note; correct spelling retards...[​IMG]

certainly omelette if you're in france, but the americanized accepted spelling is omelet. in fact, MS Word, highlights the french as a misspelling.

16. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

actually, the newest number put the TFAL Professional Total Nonstick ($34.99) ahead of all-clad. personally, i just use the heaviest aluminum nonstick i can find at the restaurant supply store. it'll be about $30 and last 4-6 months.
    It did but its more expensive than the Tramonita.

17. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Senior member

Is anyone anally retentive enough to do their fried eggs in non stick Blini pans?

18. computerpro3

computerpro3 Senior member

I'm telling you, Calphalon unison is in a completely different league than that other crap for nonstick. Stop by a Williams Sonoma and try it out. I've had it for 8 months and it literally looks like new and works better than new.

Avoid the grill pan specials though. They are manufactured cheaper to be "promo" pans and have thinner metal.

19. Scuttlebutt

Scuttlebutt Senior member

You guys are really complaining about the weight of a cast iron skillet? Do you lift your own toilet seat?
    Also, you don't "shake" omelettes around "for a couple of minutes." You cook them over high for maybe two, flip, and serve.

Really though, grab some weights and start eating those eggs you guys claim to cook... :p

CI cooks more evenly than anything else (aluminum is the worst in this regard) and they hold heat longer. Go sear a cut of tuna and see what I mean. If you try in an Al pan it comes out like trash. They can't be used to make anything acidic either (for the same reason as unseasoned CI), except ingesting aluminum is NOT good for you.

I have one clad pasta pot, one clad sauce pot, and one clad skillet for making picatta. Absolutely everything else in my kitchen is CI (and the youngest piece is over 70 years old). I can go from high heat (unlike nonstick) to the 350+ oven (unlike anything else), and clean it off with water and a sponge in 2 minutes (unlike everything but nonstick).

20. ama

ama Senior member

What is with this hatred of non-stick? It has its uses just like everything else. Cooking eggs in anything other than non-stick just to prove a point seems silly.