New frying pan.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Infrasonic, Aug 19, 2010.

1. runner-guy

runner-guy Senior member

I have two Calphalon non-stick pans and I think they are awesome. Also, studies show that the amounts of PFOA released from non-stick pans are minuscule compared to the amounts that have caused cancer in animals.

2. Milpool

Milpool Senior member

Everyone who hates nonstick, I suppose you have domestic servants do your cleaning?

I haven't owned non-stick in a long time, ever since I had one that flaked the coating off into my food.

I don't find it difficult at all to clean good pans. I just used a stainless pan to make scrambled eggs this morning and all I needed to do was wipe the interior with a paper towel to clean it.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Here is the ladder for pots & pans materials from best to worst.

Copper

cast iron

Steel

Alluminum
    nonstick

[​IMG]
    Wrong. You can't (intelligently) make categorical statements like that. Those different materials have different properties. Accordingly, which is "best" depends on the purpose for which you intend to use it.

4. Scuttlebutt

Scuttlebutt Senior member

Griswold cast iron>everything else, including Lodge, for the same price. Try ebay.

5. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

6. computerpro3

computerpro3 Senior member

For nonstick, try the Calphalon Unison. For my money it's absolutely the best nonstick cookware on the market, and it's not even close. My 8in omelette pan is still warm hours after I turn the burner off, I don't even have to use one bit of fat in the pan, the handle is fantastic, and it's made right in Ohio.

7. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Senior member

Well I can report that so far I'm well pleased. Been using it daily.
    If they have any more pans in from the same source I shall definitely be buying.

8. Arms_Akimbo

Arms_Akimbo Senior member

There are ceramic and hi-temp non stick coatings out there as options. I like aluminum for somethings beacuse it heats a lot faster than a castiron. I have a Bialetti pan with this 'hi-base' nonstick that was advertised as being safe with metal utensils and I've had no problem using them.

9. XeF4

XeF4 Senior member

Copper is the best because it heats fast and evenly.
    Cast iron is 2nd because it heats evenly.
    Steel is third because it heats fast, but not evenly.
    Alluminum is 4th because it unevenly and will seep alluminum into your food.
    Non-stick is last because it heats unevenly and can realease toxic chemicals into your food.

10. skinnyman

skinnyman Well-Known Member

Teflon nonstick is definitely the worst simply because it doesn't last. I say just do away with nonstick and learn to properly fry an egg in a metal pan. Here's how!
    1. Heat your pan
    2. Once hot, add butter or butter/oil. For some reason oil alone doesn't work as well. Adding your butter/oil to a hot pan means it will spread more easily so you can use less to coat your pan.
    3. Wait for the butter to start browning. If you are just using oil, wait for it to start smoking. Only then can you add your eggs. Cook them however you want. I like to just put a lid on so the steam cooks the top of the eggs.
    4. Slide your eggs out of the pan. You may have to loosen them with a spatula (silicon) or whatever but they should come out easily.

It may not work the first time, but it's something you gotta practice. Once you get it down it's a useful skill to have. Works for more than just eggs of course.

The new ceramic nonstick pans look interesting though, haven't tried them. But I can see them having the same problem in that once they get chipped they should probably be thrown out.

11. computerpro3

computerpro3 Senior member

Teflon nonstick is definitely the worst simply because it doesn't last. I say just do away with nonstick and learn to properly fry an egg in a metal pan. Here's how!
    1. Heat your pan
    2. Once hot, add butter or butter/oil. For some reason oil alone doesn't work as well. Adding your butter/oil to a hot pan means it will spread more easily so you can use less to coat your pan.
    3. Wait for the butter to start browning. If you are just using oil, wait for it to start smoking. Only then can you add your eggs. Cook them however you want. I like to just put a lid on so the steam cooks the top of the eggs.
    4. Slide your eggs out of the pan. You may have to loosen them with a spatula (silicon) or whatever but they should come out easily.

It may not work the first time, but it's something you gotta practice. Once you get it down it's a useful skill to have. Works for more than just eggs of course.

The new ceramic nonstick pans look interesting though, haven't tried them. But I can see them having the same problem in that once they get chipped they should probably be thrown out.

Ideally you'd do it just before the oil starts smoking. You can tell when it's at proper temperature because it will start striating. Once the oil starts smoking it is breaking down and the taste changes.

12. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Copper is the best because it heats fast and evenly.
    Cast iron is 2nd because it heats evenly.
    Steel is third because it heats fast, but not evenly.
    Alluminum is 4th because it unevenly and will seep alluminum into your food.
    Non-stick is last because it heats unevenly and can realease toxic chemicals into your food.

Empirical proof is empirical

13. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Senior member

XeF4, keep posting you're a genius...

14. literasyme

literasyme Senior member

Ideally you'd do it just before the oil starts smoking. You can tell when it's at proper temperature because it will start striating. Once the oil starts smoking it is breaking down and the taste changes.

+1

15. skinnyman

skinnyman Well-Known Member

This is the part that takes practice, being able to tell when the oil has reached temp. Obviously you don't want to burn your oil, but you don't want to crack your eggs in too early either.