• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New flat

Bouji

Reaction score
I've moved, to St. John's Wood, for those that know London, and its a brand new building.
I'm talking a contemporary approach to the interior design.

In the lounge,

It has oak hardwood flooring and halogen lighting.

This sofa,

These chairs
This wall unit, minus the shelves on the right of the plasma, the plasma is centralised,

on a backboard like this but in wenge (black)

Deep antique gold raw silk (shot with black) curtains, no pelmet, pinch pleats, overhang.

Still looking for tables and lamps.

Also, as far as bits and pieces go, I've got a few vases and display bowles from Tiffany, and some small Lalique sculptures, but that's about it.
I also have some painting, bacon repos. to go up but I need contemporay frames.

Looking for more of the kind, including other odds and ends, like photo frames etc.

Also, any ideas for the coffee table, side tables, lamps, and any other such things would help.

Bouji

Reaction score
Also, as for a rug, I'm thinking either French tapestry or a Persian Nain style rug in all silk

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Nice choices. Seems like you have a good idea of where you are going with this.

Thanks, do you feel they go? Some things are ultra modern, like the BO concept plasma unit, whilst some are a bit more contemporary, like the raw shot silk curtains, and the sofa and chairs.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally like the contrast of old to new. I think the furniture you have chosen will work just fine and be accepted as modern in this context. White being a "modern" color at any rate-according to Le Corbusier.
I'd like to see these Bacon -esque? paintings.

Only thing I'd add, which you may have already solved is -color? Any spots of color to punctuate the interior? Vases, pillows, flowers /plants?

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
I personally like the contrast of old to new. I think the furniture you have chosen will work just fine and be accepted as modern in this context. White being a "modern" color at any rate-according to Le Corbusier.
I'd like to see these Bacon -esque? paintings.

Only thing I'd add, which you may have already solved is -color? Any spots of color to punctuate the interior? Vases, pillows, flowers /plants?

I can get some photos of these Bacon-esque paintings, they were done by a friend who completed an MA in fine art at Central St. Martins.
As for colour, I always keep fresh flowers, and the curtains are, as I said quite a deep antique gold. The rug, I think will add more colour to the room.
Any other suggestions, not related to the original question would also be apriciated.
Here's a typical Persian Nain rug (albeit it is a wool/silk blend, I'm looking for all silk.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just post some photos when this is a done deal. I started a "SF Cribs" thread in this part of the forum- needless to say there are some great living spaces that some of the members have.
smile.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
Sounds great to me. Finally old enough to move out, eh?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A rule of thumb about interior decorating: start with the paint. It frames the six other levels of color that will go in the space.

Bouji

Reaction score
Can you explain 'six other levels of colo(u)r' please? The walls are pure white.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, Bouji, I misspoke. I meant seven layers of design. Those, in the order Christopher Lowell recommends proceeding, are as follows:

1) paint and architecture
2) installed flooring
3) upholstered furniture
4) accent fabrics
5) non-upholstered furniture
6) accessories
7) plants and lighting

I tend to agree with his assessment, though I skip accent fabrics, and I tend to hate accessories. But I will agree that his advice on painting is excellent. Are you planning to keep the walls white?

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
Sorry, Bouji, I misspoke. I meant seven layers of design. Those, in the order Christopher Lowell recommends proceeding, are as follows:

2) installed flooring
3) upholstered furniture
4) accent fabrics
6) accessories
7) plants and lighting

I tend to agree with his assessment, though I skip accent fabrics, and I tend to hate accessories. But I will agree that his advice on painting is excellent. Are you planning to keep the walls white?

Perhaps not in the long term, as I'm not a huge fan of white walls, or light coloured walls for that matter - but for now, I think I'll keep them as they are, because they are very versatlie, they match with a lot of colours.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
All-silk Persian rugs look exquisite, but they will tend to bunch up on you, as they do not have much body. I'm constantly having to smooth out wrinkles in my dining room Tabriz, which is wool on a silk warp.

If you are putting one over an existing carpet, this will not be such a problem, but if you are putting it over a hardwood floor, you're going to want a rug with more body that will lie flat and stay that way.

Silk rugs are also not as durable as wool, but they make excellent wall hangings.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take care in hanging a rug. The way it is done can change the value of the piece.

Also, don't fall into the trap of decorating a room starting with a rug. It can cost you a fortune trying to compete with something that complex. Start with paint. Paint goes on all 5 walls (the ceiling is a wall). The floor is the sixth wall, but you shouldn't deal with that until you've dealt with the paint. White can work in a contemporary setting, but not all whites are equal. If the white has some warmth in it, this will better complement anything you put in the space afterward.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril

2) installed flooring
3) upholstered furniture
4) accent fabrics
6) accessories
7) plants and lighting

That's basically how I'm going about decorating my new place. I hadn't thought it out in such a precise manner, but it's the most logical approach.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads