1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

new faux-paypal scam...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by discostu004, Apr 18, 2005.

1. discostu004

discostu004 Affiliate vendor Affiliate Vendor

i know this isn't clothes-related but i'm sure a lot of you use PP. i got an email like someone had sent me money. i almost clicked on it, but the innerds of the email didn't look "right". it would have been one of those "log in and we steal your PW and drain your acct" things. i'm always leery of these and I almost fell for it. just keep an eye out

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Thanks for the heads up.

dan

3. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

NOTE: A real email from Paypal will always say "Dear your name" at the top. Regardless, it does not matter if it is paypal, your bank, your credit card or whomever who seems to have sent you the email. The website that will popup will always be 'wrong' like paypalaccountupdate.com. If you click a link from paypal it will take you to https://www.paypal.com and only enter in important info on a secure site (https, not http). When doing an e-commerce site you set it up so that checkout goes through a secure server no matter what. If unsure whether an email is from paypal, just forward it to [email protected] and they will tell you very quickly. If in doubt, simply enter the url into your browser by hand or bookmark it.

4. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

More simple advice. Many SPAMS use the subject "Notification of Payment" Etc. I keep an extra window open with the real PayPal site on it. If you do this and check your "Overview" (which you know to be your overview because the window was open before the e-mail came), you'll either see the new bucks in your Overview or not. Definite fail-safe.

5. discostu004

discostu004 Affiliate vendor Affiliate Vendor

alex, that's what i did. i logged in to see if there was a pmt, and there wasn't, as expected.