• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New express shirts

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, on the slim fitting Pink shirts for $45 more per shirt you might as well go with a Paul Smith. Basically this is what I've concluded.

I also find that the critical top button placement (important for wearing your shirt open at the collar) is better on the Paul Smith models as well.

Unless I just HAVE TO HAVE a particular Thomas Pink fabric, I'm planning on staying away.

Pink22m

Reaction score
I've also noticed that this season's shirts say Made in Romania while my older slim fit shirts say Made in the U.K.

I have noticed that many of their shirts are now being produced in Morocco. I don't have any of their newer season shirts though; my shirts are from a few seasons ago, and are made in Ireland. I am wondering if this shift in production location will be further detriment to the quality.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Yeah, on the slim fitting Pink shirts for $45 more per shirt you might as well go with a Paul Smith. Basically this is what I've concluded.

I also find that the critical top button placement (important for wearing your shirt open at the collar) is better on the Paul Smith models as well.

Unless I just HAVE TO HAVE a particular Thomas Pink fabric, I'm planning on staying away.
Where would you find a nice collection of Paul Smith shirts (or Etro, which I am more fond of, for that matter)? I have been to several upscale department stores in the area (southern California), but I have yet to see a nice variety of shirts. They usually only have one or two Paul Smith shirts, and I've never seen Etro.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are in the LA area, Traffic in the Beverly Center carries some Paul Smith, as does American Rag from time to time. Neimans Wilshire usually has a selection of Etro and Paul Smith shirts and sportswear (very cool suits and jackets), and Barneys usually has a few Etro shirts on the first floor. I know that Scott and Co. had Paul Smith, but I don't know if they still carry them.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Thanks LA guy. Im actually down in San Diego, but I'm often going up to LA to go clubbing and the like, I'll make sure to dedicate a few hours to Etro-shirt acquiring next time I head up that way
smile.gif

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The best Paul Smith and Etro collections I've seen are at Neiman Marcus.

Timothy

Reaction score
Getting back to the topic at hand I own a bunch of Express shirts, but not as a testament to their quality more so because they are easily found really cheap. Brian you should check out dicount stores like Marshalls, TJ Maxx, and Gabriel Brothers if there are any around in your area. These stores usually carry a good selection of Express for dollars. Example: Gabe's sells their Express shirts for $9, and I've found their suit jackets there once in a while for only $16. As to quality it appears that Express are improving slightly. They have dress shirts now with two button collars, plus have a Seven line (no idea if it is connected to Seven for all Mankind) with MOP buttons. Though I will warn you that their stretch shirts get kind of funky after a couple of washings, yet I don't feel them worthwhile enough to send to the drycleaners. I usually hang dry them after washing which seems to prolong them for a while. All in all they have soom great striped shirts at times, I would just try to find them elsewhere or wait till they go on sale. Ps. You can also find some really good steals at discount stores, better than Express, like Ted Baker (great patterned fabric) shirts for $25 at Marshalls.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Thanks Timothy. I really appreciate it, I usually avoided going to Marshall's in the past, but there is one right down the street from me, I'll go check that out.

Timothy

Reaction score
Also just noticed that you like PDC jeans in the designer jeans post which I have found a couple of times at TJ Maxx (which also owns Marshals) on sale for $18. So believe in these discount stores for you never know what you'll find you'll just have to hunt and search with a little bit of luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads