• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Edward Greens

Urbane Legend

Reaction score
Perhaps a ridiculous question but here I go.

There are many threads that discuss the fit of Edward Green shoes. The consensus is that a snug fit is the proper fit. My first purchase of EG shoes was a Berkeley E width on the 606 last ( I am an E in US size). It took a number of wearings for the shoes to break in and be. Even after numerous wearings, they are comfortable but snug (especially in the instep). I make sure I only wear thin socks.

I recently ordered shoe on the 888 last (Canterbury). The Beaulieu I craved was only available in E width. This time I ordered it with the F width. It just arrived today and it fits perfectly right out of the box.
I know I should be overjoyed. However, when this shoe breaks in, will it be then become too big? I feel like there is an expectation that EG shoes require a break-in period.

This forum has taught me so much. But have I gone over the edge??

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I am a D fitting in all Green lasts, and my personal experience is that the first two or three wearings are not so comfortable (not to say agonzing) but after that they feel fine and fit nice and snug. I do prefer a snug fit and have never considered trading up to an E.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My EGs have fit fine out of the box too - also F width. I still don't know my perfect size in EG and haven't really taken the time to figure it out. As their prices rise, quite frankly they are becoming less and less attractive to me.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
My EGs have fit fine out of the box too - also F width. I still don't know my perfect size in EG and haven't really taken the time to figure it out. As their prices rise, quite frankly they are becoming less and less attractive to me.

As EG prices rise do you prefer the step up to Lobb or a step down, and if so, to whom?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I am a D fitting in all Green lasts, and my personal experience is that the first two or three wearings are not so comfortable (not to say agonzing) but after that they feel fine and fit nice and snug.
This has been my experience as well but I might add the 202 last is quite comfy.

As EG prices rise do you prefer the step up to Lobb
Is it a step up? I always thought about them about the same build quality wise.

sammy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
As EG prices rise do you prefer the step up to Lobb or a step down, and if so, to whom?

I am not sure if buying Lobbs is a "step up", but I intended to go bespoke rather than getting another pair of MTO EGs. For me, fit is king. I have not been able to get a perfect fit, especially considering the cost of RTW, from either EG or Lobb. I have come to believe that even if a shoe is made by the finest artisans using the finest materials, it is of no value unless it fits you just right.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
Step up to Lobb prestige. Not only do I love the beveled waist, but the 8000 last fits me better than any other RTW last from any brand.

And, as with Sammy, the next logical step is bespoke.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sammy
I am not sure if buying Lobbs is a "step up", but I intended to go bespoke rather than getting another pair of MTO EGs. For me, fit is king. I have not been able to get a perfect fit, especially considering the cost of RTW, from either EG or Lobb. I have come to believe that even if a shoe is made by the finest artisans using the finest materials, it is of no value unless it fits you just right.

Hear, hear! (sounds like you, too, are awaiting an audience with the Great Gaziano). Just two more weeks boys, just two more weeks!

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I am not sure if buying Lobbs is a "step up", but I intended to go bespoke rather than getting another pair of MTO EGs.
I would agree the Prestige line may be a step up and I understand you wanting to try bespoke for a perfect fit. You may have differently sized feet like I and many others do and bespoke solved that for me.

You could also try the G&G MTO lasts and see if that works for you. Does the MTO EG allow you to try two different sizes? Did that not work?

sammy

Reaction score
There is just something about spending $1000+ for a pair of RTW or MTO shoes that don't fit spot on that just rubs me the wrong way. I'd rather spend another $1000+ for bespoke or only $200-300 for RTW. Going bespoke may result in a smaller collection of shoes, but each one will fit me perfectly and be a joy to wear. Whereas spending $1000 for a pair of ill-fitting Lobbs would be a waste. Each step in them would be a sad and expensive reminder of $1000 that could have been invested in a pair of bespoke shoes. Just my $0.02

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Going bespoke may result in a smaller collection of shoes, but each one will fit me perfectly and be a joy to wear. Whereas spending $1000 for a pair of ill-fitting Lobbs would be a waste. Each step in them would be a sad and expensive reminder of $1000 that could have been invested in a pair of bespoke shoes. Just my $0.02
I agree with this.
smile.gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Urbane Legend
Perhaps a ridiculous question but here I go.

There are many threads that discuss the fit of Edward Green shoes. The consensus is that a snug fit is the proper fit. My first purchase of EG shoes was a Berkeley E width on the 606 last ( I am an E in US size). It took a number of wearings for the shoes to break in and be. Even after numerous wearings, they are comfortable but snug (especially in the instep). I make sure I only wear thin socks.

I recently ordered shoe on the 888 last (Canterbury). The Beaulieu I craved was only available in E width. This time I ordered it with the F width. It just arrived today and it fits perfectly right out of the box.
I know I should be overjoyed. However, when this shoe breaks in, will it be then become too big? I feel like there is an expectation that EG shoes require a break-in period.

This forum has taught me so much. But have I gone over the edge??

My guess - and it's only that - is that you should probably be ok. Wearing them will definitely cause them to loosen up a bit, but I would think that if the're not as snug as the D, your foot won't be pushing so hard on the leather, which means the leather likely will stretch less (because there's less need to stretch to accomodate your foot).

sammy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
My guess - and it's only that - is that you should probably be ok. Wearing them will definitely cause them to loosen up a bit, but I would think that if the're not as snug as the D, your foot won't be pushing so hard on the leather, which means the leather likely will stretch less (because there's less need to stretch to accomodate your foot).

I agree. I wear a D width in US sizing, and my EGs on the 888 are and E width which fit like my D width shoes. As far as I know, EG E is equal to US D.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sammy
I agree. I wear a D width in US sizing, and my EGs on the 888 are and E width which fit like my D width shoes. As far as I know, EG E is equal to US D.

EG E width is equivalent to a US E.

Edit: I meant US E.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scnupe7
EG E width is equivalent to a UK E.
Given that they're in the UK, that would make sense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics