• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Edward Green Grants...Now what?

ToddGTS

Reaction score
By the way these shoes are awesome!! And they fit great. My question is, the color is dark oak, will I be fine with brown polish? Do I need to be afraid of changing the antiquing? Lastly, since reading the forum, I use lexol on all my new shoes with great results. Should I be worried about that process on a pair of EG's?

This forum is great! Thanks for the help in advance.

-Todd

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ToddGTS
By the way these shoes are awesome!! And they fit great. My question is, the color is dark oak, will I be fine with brown polish? Do I need to be afraid of changing the antiquing? Lastly, since reading the forum, I use lexol on all my new shoes with great results. Should I be worried about that process on a pair of EG's? This forum is great! Thanks for the help in advance. -Todd
I don't know. But I would suggest using a neutral shoe cream only about 70% of the time. I hate dealing with polish build up on shoes. Usually I only polish the toe and heel anyway. I'm sure others have contray opinions, but my shoe collection, which spans the John Lobb - Corthay gambit, have not suffered by my care method. And I live in Indiana.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ToddGTS
By the way these shoes are awesome!! And they fit great. My question is, the color is dark oak, will I be fine with brown polish? Do I need to be afraid of changing the antiquing? Lastly, since reading the forum, I use lexol on all my new shoes with great results. Should I be worried about that process on a pair of EG's?

This forum is great! Thanks for the help in advance.

-Todd

I doubt they need Lexol, but the dark oak is dark enough that it's not likely to create any noticeable effect. Lincoln makes a dark brown polish that I like for my dark oak shoes. But normal brown isn't going to do any harm.
Congrats, btw.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Full retail or did your find them on sale?

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
One should be careful of applying to much conditioner on shoes. Over done the leather will become sticky and it will take months for that stickiness to go away.

HitMan009

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shoe-nut
One should be careful of applying to much conditioner on shoes. Over done the leather will become sticky and it will take months for that stickiness to go away.

I tend to apply conditioner relatively liberally after I remove built-up shoe polish. The lexol really seems to relax the creases in the toe area. I let the shoes take in the conditioner for one day and then come back a light wiping of shoe cream and buff, then end it with polish to give it a spit shine. I have been doing this for years now with no apparent problems, in fact with great results.

ToddGTS

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, the shoes shined up great. And as you explained the darker polish increased the modeling. Unfortunatly, these shoes were not purchaced at a discount.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shoe-nut

How often would you recommend applying conditioner?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I only like Lexol on oil finished shoes like some Santoni. I like a neutral shoe cream on my EGs.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting silence from the people who like to alternate black and dark brown on heavily antiqued, dark oak EGs.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Interesting silence from the people who like to alternate black and dark brown on heavily antiqued, dark oak EGs.
I think that the ridiculous antique-your-own-shoe fad is finally over. Thank god.

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I think that the ridiculous antique-your-own-shoe fad is finally over. Thank god.

Why are you so concern what people do to their shoes?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay
Why are you so concern what people do to their shoes?
You are right. Why would anybody bother to give an opinion on anything. I didn't notice, but are you a moderator? I only ask because I looked at all of your posts and none have to do with style. They all have to do with complaining about the actions of one member or another. Boy are we lucky to have you around, Art.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads