• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Dog - Changed Perspective

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hung out with a huge Rhodesian Ridgeback over the weekend. Huge like 90lbs but trim, not fat, huge.

Makes me want a big, loyal, lovable, smart, and laid back dog.

*edit* forgot to mention that while the ridgeback was huge, it was still a beautiful dog with great proportion, coat, and has a perfect ridge (not always a given).

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I have good news for you - you and your partner are now able to legally wed in the state of California. Congratulations!
This coming from the man with the gayest looking dogs on earth is quite the statement.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I've never understood the love that some men have for large dogs. Maybe its a scat fetish compensation thing. Weird.
Totally agree.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Says the guy with 4 of the girliest dogs in the thread.

the irony was not lost on me, much as i'm sure the irony of you being the first to jump on this is not lost on you.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
My four:

I'm a huge fan of terriers, and yours look terrific, but given their personalities and energy, how do you manage four at one time? My hat is off to you!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
For the duration of my life, I've found dogs to be boring. My family never owned a dog when I was growing up and the only dogs I came into contact with were those of friends. Dogs always seemed like a crapshoot - some friendly, some that like to bite, some that growl a lot, and many that were annoying. I never really had a desire to buy a dog.

I'm still at this stage. Wife LOVES dogs and always had one growing up. She insists that once our boys are a little older (maybe 3 or 4), we have to get a dog. I'm sure it's a great idea and they would love the dog to death but I'm still not sure how that works in a NYC apartment with working parents.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I'm still at this stage. Wife LOVES dogs and always had one growing up. She insists that once our boys are a little older (maybe 3 or 4), we have to get a dog. I'm sure it's a great idea and they would love the dog to death but I'm still not sure how that works in a NYC apartment with working parents.

Small one who is professionally trained very well. Lots of people in Korea have small dogs and everyone lives in an apartment. You can tire them out indoors pretty easily.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
If you can pick it up with one hand it's not a dog. More of a mega gerbil.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'm sure it's a great idea and they would love the dog to death but I'm still not sure how that works in a NYC apartment with working parents.

how would this be different if you weren't in a NYC apartment? Dogs sleep all day and kids would leave it exhausted by night anyways. We would always come home from school and find a Yorkie with bedhead.

You can also have a dog walker in the day if need be or there are a handful of doggy day cares if you don't want to leave it at home.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
how would this be different if you weren't in a NYC apartment? Dogs sleep all day and kids would leave it exhausted by night anyways. We would always come home from school and find a Yorkie with bedhead.

You can also have a dog walker in the day if need be or there are a handful of doggy day cares if you don't want to leave it at home.

Well I don't know but I'd assume a dog left alone all day (except when the kids are back from school) would be lonely. I also assume that a dog with access to a yard would be happier than one locked in an apartment every day.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well I don't know but I'd assume a dog left alone all day (except when the kids are back from school) would be lonely. I also assume that a dog with access to a yard would be happier than one locked in an apartment every day.

Before my kid, my dog was home for 9h while my wife and I both worked, and was happy as a clam. We walked and played with her at night, and she still slept through the night after only 3-4 hours of "working out" at night and 1-2 hours in the AM. It really depends on the dog and their background.

FWIW We lived in Hells Kitchen for the first 8 months we had her and she was great as a city dog.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Before my kid, my dog was home for 9h while my wife and I both worked, and was happy as a clam. We walked and played with her at night, and she still slept through the night after only 3-4 hours of "working out" at night and 1-2 hours in the AM. It really depends on the dog and their background.

FWIW We lived in Hells Kitchen for the first 8 months we had her and she was great as a city dog.

our dog is the happiest dog I've ever seen and she is home alone all day. She just sleeps all day, literally. In fact, a 3 day weekend would often throw her off and she'd be all lethargic on the third day from all of the activity around the house.
2212902740043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pet activity level seems to be directly proportional to quality of food. Even my old-man cat went from sleeping around all day to running up the walls.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads