• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Doctor Who - what should he wear?

HHD

Reaction score
Matt Smith has been named as the eleventh incarnation of the Doctor in the BBC's science-fiction series Doctor Who.

He hasn't been photographed in his costume yet; over the next six months he and the production team have to come up with ideas for the character, including his costume (which is a central feature of each Doctor's personality).

Here's a photo of Matt released yesterday (in his own clothes). Odd-looking cove. What would you recommend for his costume?

http://perezhilton.com/2009-01-04-un...ggest-tv-roles

(I've already heard "bag over head à la John Merrick")

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I'm on the wrong side of the hill when a Time Lord was born two years after I was.

First order of business is to get photo'd in better lighting, unless we're going for the Doctor Goth Who look.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That might well have been in costume - they did speak of the hair being 'right'.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the full 3-piece. Would be a nice contrast to his extreme youth.

HHD

Reaction score
I don't think we'll ever see a Doctor in some form of period costume (or clown costume) ever again, though seeing Ben Whishaw (who was my favourite for the job) as Sebastian Flyte in Brideshead made me think it might be possible. On the left here: http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2008...isited_001.jpg Or even Whishaw's Hamlet: http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/20...ET_243x258.jpg Though I think a version of Margaret Howell's arty, vintage-style menswear is probably more likely for Matt Smith.

B1FF

Reaction score
Great - Dr Who is now a 26 year old emo-kid.

Why does it seem that every BBC show is targeting 14-year old girls these days?

Keon

Reaction score
Whatever he wears, it should include an ascot.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Just to head off the shrieking condemnations of him being an 'emo-kid' because he's wearing black in that press photo, the character he played in Party Animals is more of a nerdy office drone. Has a bit of a mod look in that show, too.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im reviving an old thread instead of starting a new one because its the exact same topic in a way.

The new doctor who costume:
matt-smith-doctor-who-rocks-290x400.jpg

And this is the actor in his normal clothing:
MSnormal.jpg

It looks like he may have the right personality for playing the doctor, if not the age.

What do people think? I personally miss the 4th Doctors scarf, but I think this is pretty decent.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lots of people seem to be freaking out about the tweed and bowtie. Too nerdy and "geography teacher" was a common refrain. I think it's fine as a costume. Reminds me of Pat Troughton's. But it was interesting to see people react so strongly/negatively to a tie and sportcoat. I sport the boot/sportcoat combo now and then, and have posted it in WAYW before. So now Doctor Who's stealing my shtick.
laugh.gif

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very Bowie looking. I would have given them kudos for slightly 70s glam rock outfit......it is time.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to see the long multi-colored scarf; I think it would cover that bowtie up very nicely.

Also, if they could find an old-'60s model Dalek for the upcoming season, that would also be much appreciated.

HHD

Reaction score
I like the costume, except for the fact that the boots are Prada - surely his stylist could have chosen a pair of English boots. Much sturdier for scrambling over quarries in Kent.

It reminds me of Troughton, Max Wall and as David says, late 70s Bowie. Also - minus the braces and bow tie - me at university :)

If Matt stays in the job, it's likely we'll see variations on the outfit. Costumes tend to change a little over the seasons. Though this might be the first Doctor who dresses more conservatively than the actor who plays the role!

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HHD
I like the costume, except for the fact that the boots are Prada - surely his stylist could have chosen a pair of English boots. Much sturdier for scrambling over quarries in Kent.

It reminds me of Troughton, Max Wall and as David says, late 70s Bowie. Also - minus the braces and bow tie - me at university :)

If Matt stays in the job, it's likely we'll see variations on the outfit. Costumes tend to change a little over the seasons. Though this might be the first Doctor who dresses more conservatively than the actor who plays the role!

I think there have already been sightings of variations on the outfit during filming, which I like. Better that than the fixed costumes of the '80s.

I saw some discussion online that the boots aren't really Prada, despite a statement by the Beeb, but by some other company I've forgotten. Apparently the uber-Who fans bought up all the available stock.

IIRC, the boots actually belonged to the actor and wound up as part of the costume.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads