New Contest

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mauro, May 13, 2009.

1. otc

otc Senior member

You are in an area of the country immersed in politics use it to your advantage. Get Michelle Obama in the store. A winner

This would be a great great PR for both the president and yourself. Small business owner, Michelle embracing fashion and the arts etc etc etc Promotions are a dime a dozen. Experiences are what last.

Damn you stole my idea. Was about to post it and then I figured I would read the second page of comments first.

Do This.

2. Teger

Teger Senior member

I dunno if I'm able to do this...

but give free jeans/shirts/tops/dresses to prominent bloggers (ie: Seaofshoes, etc), in exchange for blog posts repping the webstore.

3. stoneb

stoneb Senior member

and if Teger can't participate, I submit his idea. booya

4. Johnathan

Johnathan Senior member

For every men's item purchased an accompanying women's piece is 15-20% off. Maybe it will inspire a fella to by his girl a gift or get women to come by the store with their better halves, buying him a shirt and grabbing her purchase at discount. Basic ploy were you can adjust your discount accordingly.
    I think this is a really good idea.

5. nonissue

nonissue Senior member

I agree with the earlier commentator, I think the thing that differenitiates farinelli's from everyone else is the people, specifically mauro. You gotta build your brand, get involved in the local community, start some initiatives to create buzz. I read an article about Denim Bar, and that's how I found out about the store, so continue with stuff like that. Maybe farinelli's needs a gimmick?

6. raven37457

raven37457 Senior member

In response to otc's previous post..yeah it makes sense. You also have to be more aggressive in the University environments in the surrounding areas. Especially if you can find students with income or from wealthy families. Maybe try to hold an event with a well known and respected Georgetown sorority? (i am not a fan and this is def not my thing) but hey customers are customers and revenue is revenue.

7. Mazda

Mazda Senior member

You have the exact opposite problem most clothing retailers have. Usually its men's that gets slaughtered by women's sales. they however have the luxury of having the spenders (women) in the store to buy for the men.

Do a Date Night.

Use your men's customers to get women in the store. Drinks, Music, door prizes, discount for the ladies.

However, a great idea means zip if you do not get the info out to the neighborhood and out to your current base.

If you don't have an email list for in store customers, build one. Your base client probably reads local blogs, 'zines and I assume DC has the typical liberal/yuppie/hipster friendly free weekly paper ala Time Out? I'd advertise. If there is a group/club that you feel has a good cross section of your clientele, network with them. That may mean a neighborhood book club, a local bar that has a crowd of regulars, any events that draw young professional women (For instance Jennifer Lancaster was in DC last week, that place would have been SLAMMED with your clientele)

Additionally, while I am sure Teger is a great guy, if the store I shopped at had a great looking girl wearing great looking clothes, I am going to be telling my female friends. You have a rare commodity in men who shop, use them properly, they will do the legwork for you. If you don't have one, get a stylish girl working for you.

If you are going to spring for whatever idea you decide to go with, you need to do the ground work, or the promo will be an excercise in futility.

8. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Post more YouTube vids: friends tell friends, bloggers dig, and word gets around. Not just vids of ctrlaltelite playing "dress up" but of the Goat reviewing certain designers as well as trying on the dresses so that people not only get better details but also see the pieces in motion. Also, the liberal return policy NEEDS TO BE STRESSED both on the video AND on the website. I had a few girls tell me after the sales that they didn't know how easy it would be to return an item in case it didn't fit.

This is probably something we should have done while I was out there instead of damaging my liver but... there's always August.

9. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

Most girls I know don't like shopping online. They have to try everything on first and see how it makes their ass look.

Since you're already offering lots of discounts, and big ones at that, maybe you just need to draw attention to the shop. Think about becoming a sponsor for local events or associations that prospective customers would participate in. Get involved in charities. When you move to a new city, getting interested in local projects helps you meet people and make friends. I imagine the same should hold true for a business. You're new in the neighbourhood. At the very least, you'll make some people happy.

10. Mazda

Mazda Senior member

Post more YouTube vids: friends tell friends, bloggers dig, and word gets around. Not just vids of ctrlaltelite playing "dress up" but of the Goat reviewing certain designers as well as trying on the dresses so that people not only get better details but also see the pieces in motion. Also, the liberal return policy NEEDS TO BE STRESSED both on the video AND on the website. I had a few girls tell me after the sales that they didn't know how easy it would be to return an item in case it didn't fit.

This is probably something we should have done while I was out there instead of damaging my liver but... there's always August.

+1 this.

I goddamned hate youtube but I love smart use of it.

11. puddin

puddin Senior member

yo mauro

sort of related to this contest but not really, check my pm about that party. i've got some ideas for press etc. and imo it could be a great way to get word out around dc to men and women. that spot on saturday afternoon is so good.

12. adamha21

adamha21 Senior member

Post more YouTube vids: friends tell friends, bloggers dig, and word gets around. Not just vids of ctrlaltelite playing "dress up" but of the Goat reviewing certain designers as well as trying on the dresses so that people not only get better details but also see the pieces in motion. Also, the liberal return policy NEEDS TO BE STRESSED both on the video AND on the website. I had a few girls tell me after the sales that they didn't know how easy it would be to return an item in case it didn't fit. This is probably something we should have done while I was out there instead of damaging my liver but... there's always August.
    Damn you, you stole my idea from the previous thread. I think a Youtube channel that was somewhat serious ala "What not to wear" would be perfect. I think I called it a "Maurovention." Do it with some random person off the street and they get to keep the clothes. Make it INTERESTING to watch. Women want to feel, touch, experience things IMO. They are very visual. The easier you bring the in store experience to them, the better I think your results will be. Also, I think getting involved with the community would be a great idea. What social things go on in DC? Lend a Dress to someone to wear to an event. If you want to get involved with University or younger life, offer a promotion where you will give away a dress for free for a sorority formal or prom. Getting the word out is key. If you somehow could get Michelle Obama in Farinelli's clothing though, you'd have it made. Also, maybe you should start a women's fashion blog. If you could become the secret forts or h(y)r collective of women's fashion.....you might really be able to help your business. I don't know how logical it would be to launch though. Probably don't have the effort to put forth with that.

13. constantine.

constantine. Senior member

Mauro - Since everyone goes on and on about how people in DC cant dress, I think you should run a contest on DCist.com (or the Washingtonian or Post Express) searching for the best dressed lady Washingtonian ....You could also do this by school: the Best Dressed GW Lady Colonial or the Best Dressed Georgetown Hoya (or Saxa?) and promote the ads through the school papers or even tapping into some of the sorrorities or something. You could sponsor their Fall student welcome days and give shit away (raffle?) and plug the store. Another thing to think about: girls are really into buying stuff that celebrities are spotted in. So you could take some trendy People magazine celeb, discuss why the outfit is working, offer up alternatives (or the same item) that you carry at the store, and highlight a few of the items and plug the store. Do this on one of those womens DC style blogs and make it a semi-weekly feature. This will get them IN the store, then once you do that, you gotta keep them there. So offer up a frequent buyer program, where purchases build up for future purchases. Once they reach $500, give them a 40% off coupon. If they reach $1000, give them X amount in store credit. This way you get them in the store, and keep them coming back. You should also be more self-promoting. Give youself a goofy title that evokes fitting women in jeans that flatter them. Then they feel special when you give them personalized service that they cant get at a department store. Also, maybe bring in someone for a personal appearance? Pay Stacy London or a similar TV personality to give a q+a at the store. She'll talk about what's not flattering on women and then you can sell shit on the spot.

14. Doin' Fine.

Doin' Fine. Senior member

I'd say sending around emails telling peeps about instore discounts would be good, cuz all the chicks I know don't shop online for anything 'cept footwear. And yeah, that ad space would prolly cost an arm and your jibbleys.

15. cristeza

cristeza Senior member

Have bands (entertainers) play.