• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Cleverleys -- Is it the shoe or my foot?

JonK

Reaction score
After much anticipation I just received my first pair of Cleverleys. They are "semi-bespoke" cap toes with the signature "suspiciously square" toe. I have to say, I am a bit dissapointed. The shape of the shoe is not very sleek and looks a bit short and fat. Is my reaction fair, or is it that my taste is unrefined? I guess it could it be that I have an ugly foot, which I admit is a bit wide to being with.

Also, the trees seem too small for the shoe and don't fill out the shape when placed inside (they are not very snug). Is this normal? For the amount I paid, I at least expected the trees to fit properly.

Here are some pictures -- including the one in the middle showing the new shoe along with a pair of Barker Blacks I had in my office that seem a lot more sleek, yet still fit pretty well. Please pardon the bad Blackberry photos. I can try to add some more if this doesn't provide enough perspective.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your feet are wide (as are mine), but I honestly don't think they look stubby if that is what you are worried about. Perhaps you had a mental image based on samples/photos? Given the width of your foot an elongated toe might have produced such a look. The trees do look a bit too small.

Avebury

Reaction score
IMHO I think the chisel only works on a fairly sleek shoe and only then if it's slight, barely noticable even. If the last is too square, then chisel can become too marked.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very surprised to see that the trees don't fit the shoes properly.... not snug around the heel at all...
confused.gif

JonK

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. My expectations for Cleverley were so high that I am a bit dissapointed. The small trees suggests something is off (maybe the quality control). Also, I wish they would have provided more guidance regarding the chisel toe and the shape of my foot/last. This is my first MTO/semi-bespoke shoe and I would have ordered something different had I known to ask or been made aware.

Any advice on next steps. I take it there is little I can do to address the issues other than live with the shoe and ask for new trees. I have an appointment during their upcoming visit to DC at the end of the month. I'm vacillating as to whether I should cancel or place another order having learned from my mistake.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JonK
Thanks for the feedback. My expectations for Cleverley were so high that I am a bit dissapointed. The small trees suggests something is off (maybe the quality control). Also, I wish they would have provided more guidance regarding the chisel toe and the shape of my foot/last. This is my first MTO/semi-bespoke shoe and I would have ordered something different had I known to ask or been made aware.

Any advice on next steps. I take it there is little I can do to address the issues other than live with the shoe and ask for new trees. I have an appointment during their upcoming visit to DC at the end of the month. I'm vacillating as to whether I should cancel or place another order having learned from my mistake.

What sho'nuff said....a round tapered toe is a nice look.

jon5986

Reaction score
That look fine to me. Perhaps you should call Cleverley and ask them if you are disappointed. I have always found them helpful with any question / concern I have.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Those frankly look like classic Cleverleys to me, as though they were full bespoke, and match the wierdness of your feet. That is something you either like, or don't like.

Try G&G if you want a bespoke maker who will make a last to smooth out the rough edges of your funky feet.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those look good to me. The shape is elegant.

JonK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Those frankly look like classic Cleverleys to me, as though they were full bespoke, and match the wierdness of your feet. That is something you either like, or don't like.

Try G&G if you want a bespoke maker who will make a last to smooth out the rough edges of your funky feet.

Originally Posted by Baron
Those look good to me. The shape is elegant.

This is helpful feedback. The look is so different than anything I have worn in the past that I was a little thrown off. I'll chalk it up to refining (or discovering) my taste.

Clearly I will need new trees at the very least. I'll call Cleverley on Monday but does anyone know if that will require sending them back across the pond?

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
those shoes trees are not the right size. i can totally tell. i agree that a chisel belongs on a sleek last. on a bulky last, a chisel toe looks off. it should rather have a round toe

Please do get them to send new trees. Send me the old ones
smile.gif

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoes look beautiful

You have not commented on their fit?

Don't mail the shoe trees back. Instead show the trees in the shoes when Mr. Glasgow visits and see what he says first

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads