• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New, clean cut, hair style.

alv0064

Reaction score
I’m not sure if this is the place to post this...I got offered a really great job but the dress code is business professional everyday, which I am interpreting as suit and a tie.

So, since I’m moving into the world of adulthood, and I’ll be working with clients, I figure it’s time to do away with the long hair. I wore it tied back in the interviews, but I want to have a good start for my first big boy job. Plus, I’ve always felt weird with having long hair when I’m dressed up.

anybody have any recommendations? Something that’ll look good for a suit and tie
wardrobe?

Attachments

• 48C35AE7-7DA6-4B47-A2FB-CDC80E33C84A.jpeg
    48C35AE7-7DA6-4B47-A2FB-CDC80E33C84A.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 114

bldngwrdrb

Reaction score
A classic side part perhaps, tightness, length on top, gloss, orderliness depends a bit on how sharp you go clotheswise and how much time you want to spend on it.

alv0064

Reaction score
Okay. Should I go to a barber and pretty much just say "classic side part" and have them go from there? haha as you can tell I haven't been to the barber in a long long time, and it was usually just to clean up loose ends.

The daily dress code is suit and tie, although most people take the jacket off in the office when clients aren't in. I'm not able to be wearing a very high end suit until a few paychecks in. I don't know if that makes a difference on those other details?

bldngwrdrb

Reaction score
in the link there are some guidelines on how to try to proportion the shape of the haircut depending on the shape of your face. With not as high end suiting I would have drier and not as orderly and slick look. Ryan Gosling and George Clooney have a lot of pictures on google with side parts that does not look like the spent an hour on their hair in the morning yet looks like they look after themselves(well someone did hehe)

bldngwrdrb

Reaction score
Find something you like thats not extravagant, bring picture with you. When i had more money I used to go the saloon where the hair dressers also worked on fashion shoots and such, it did cost a bit but they had skills, good inputs, and the cut looked good for a longer time. If you dont want to spend too much, a good rule of thumb is some mid price hole in the wall guy/woman thats been around for long time in a higher end neighborhood. Read the article, ask questions about proportions, tell about job and clothing. Good luck

alv0064

Reaction score
Great, sounds like good advice. I'm super nervous about getting such a drastic cut, but I think it's time if I'm going to be working in a business professional environment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics