• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Chef's Knife Recommendation

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going over our wedding registry last night and noticed that I didn't have any knives on there. I've got a number of decent gyuto style knives, from 210mm to 260mm, so I don't really need a new knife, but nor do we need crystal stemware or china. I'd like to hear what people's favorite knives are, to guide me in my little research. Price isn't really an issue, but no one is going to buy me a custom Bob Kramer.

A good example would be the Nenox Gyuto -
http://korin.com/Corian-Gyutou I know MM and some others have it, and by all accounts it's a fabulous knife.

So - let's hear what you like to use!

Along the same vein, any steak knife recommendations? I was thinking these laguiole knives

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...TSEARCH||Category-_-Cutlery-_-NoMerchRules-_-

or these

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...TSEARCH||Category-_-Cutlery-_-NoMerchRules-_-

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what gyutos do you have now?

and those laguiole knives are nice

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kuhn Rikon nonstick watermelon knife

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really enjoy my Shun collection. Razor sharp edge (anmd keeps that edge for a long time) next to some of my german knives.

My $0.02

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 Shun Classics, 8 & 10 inch, Honsho-Kanemasa E-series Gyuto 210mm, Togiharu hammered damascus 210mm, some old, heavy wusthoff I use to cut bones and stuff.

I really like the Honsho-Kanemasa http://japan-blades.com/chef-knives/355.html it takes an awesome edge and has developed a sweet patina at this point.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how good are you at sharpening and maintaining your knives?

if you dont really care too much that nenox you posted is great. i've always wanted a misono ux10 myself.

i was going to talk about honyaki, but imo honyaki is a little wasted on most people and not really suited for a gyuto. if you really wanted i've heard great things about this. otherwise even just a hon kasumi knife from masamoto like this should be a nice enough upgrade

dunno if you want a japanese handle. you should prolly go to a knife shop tho and get a feel for what knives you would like to use

that nenox is the prettiest tho

Last edited:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I use a paring knife twenty times more than a chef's knife, so maybe look at a really good one.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^that's great advice. it doesnt seem like you really need a new gyuto. that nenox is not a massive upgrade from the knives you have currently alhtough if somebody else were footing the bill i would be in a bit of a pickle

Last edited:

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also use my petty the most for all everyday things.
Its a 150mm kanetsugu. Great knife for the price!

For the more serious work I bring out my Watanabe Gyuto and Yanagi. Love these knives but they do need proper care. The petty I can abuse...

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Misono UX-10 here.

Agree on the petty remark as well.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Who even makes a really good paring knife?

I will dissent a bit on the UX10, I looked into it not long ago and played with it a while and while I loved the handle I found the profile a bit narrow and low. I also think it's overpriced for what you get, i.e., $325 for a stamped knife?

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who even makes a really good paring knife?
I will dissent a bit on the UX10, I looked into it not long ago and played with it a while and while I loved the handle I found the profile a bit narrow and low. I also think it's overpriced for what you get, i.e., $325 for a stamped knife?

Its up to $325 now? Yikes... I've had mine for years and did not pay nearly that much for it. I'm pretty sure mine was less than half that actually.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads