• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Chan Suit & Shirt

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After much waiting, my new suit and shirt have arrived from W.W. Chan. The suit is made from the Charles Clayton Masterpiece 150s that Chan had on special during the March visit. It's a charcoal grey with a sky blue pinstripe, single breasted, peal-lapel. Unfortunately, I don't know the shirt fabric. Patrick offered me a free shirt in March as a result of a previous suit order that resulted in sleeves egregiously too long (it has since been rectified to my absolute satisfaction). I perused several fabric books until I found a pink that I particularly liked and then promptly paid no attention to the source of the fabric. Here are some photos of both the shirt and the suit:

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's the first Chan suit I've seen (mine included) that shows a good amount of shirt cuff. I think the rest of the suit looks good, too. A minor thing, but the front quarters are a little too closed for my tastes. That seems to be a common thing with suits from their latest US trip.

dan

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice looking suit. The overall effect is sleek and elegant.

DandySF

Reaction score
What a delight it must have been to open up the box and pull that out. It fits in all the right places--very nice the way the jacket collar hugs the back of the neck. Fits well through the waist and along the hips.

Demeter

Reaction score
What a delight it must have been to open up the box and pull that out. It fits in all the right places--very nice the way the jacket collar hugs the back of the neck. Fits well through the waist and along the hips.
Isn't the smile on his face in the last pic telling?
wink.gif
It does look very nice, though. Any comments on fit and styling I will leave to those who are far more qualified than I to make them. But it does look gorgeous to me.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From one Chan fan to another: Lookin' good.

Citystyle

Reaction score
Very sharp. In particular, I like the peaked lapels. I think it really differentiates the look. Great fit too. Nicely done.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Rather high stance for a two-button, a good compromise between an even higher stance three-button and a low-stance 2B that would show too much shirt. It looks very good on you.

Tie clips are a little out of fashion. Perhaps you can wear it lower so that only about half of it peeps of your suit. It's a matter of taste, though, and I certainly don't mean to be dogmatic.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, gents, for the many kind words. Kudos, of course, go to the good Mr. Patrick Chu for his fine work. This is the second suit (and first shirt) he's done for me and I am mightily impressed by his skills.

Kent, I know the tie clip is relentlessly out of fashion (I must admit I have something of a soft spot for them) and I appreciate your thoughts about lowering it a bit. I do like how a clip helps the tie arch just so from the shirt front; it's a look that otherwise is impossible to achieve.

I hope our other Chaniacs, JLib and retro, will post pictures of their suits once their packages arrive.

Citystyle

Reaction score
Vintage-
Just curious- how did your first Chan suit turn out w? What cut , fabric, style was your first? What led to your choice of peaked lapels? (BTW I assume this most recent suit is double vented. Yes?)
Thanks again for sharing.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kent - Tie clips have recently come back into fashion; at least that's what I've heard. Not that fashion should be a guideline for such a thing, especially if you just plain like tie clips. I think the clip (and the rest of the suit) looks very nice.

brooklyn

Reaction score
I think the suit looks great. I especally like the peaked lapels on a 2 button suit.  I think the stance is a good height.

I also think the second button does overlap a bit much but nothing to fuss over.

the tie clip adds a nice touch

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the 150s that were on sale too and it feels just wonderful. Is it a good manufactorer? This fabric spoiled me so much that I think that I can't go back to a lesser fabric. I can't help but caress the fine trouser fabric - I just hope no one's looking. Â
lookaround.gif

gardel

Reaction score
You should be smiling. Nice suit.
biggrin.gif
I think the tie clip along with the peaked lapels shows you are a man with personal style. One thing you could try with the tie clip is moving it down maybe an inch or two and angling it downward say 30 degrees. I've seen this in photos of old Hollywood types like Fred Astaire and think it helps project an attitude of relaxed nonchalance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics