New car for an upwardly mobile young professional

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ektaylor, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Ben85

Ben85 Senior member

Useless data by lowly paid journalists who aren't smart enough (and lack the funds) to understand real world driving , etc...they don't hand out certain jobs (or cars) to just anyone. Even as a kid, I've always been suspicious of Asian engineered brakes and safety structures/systems when I would have people ferry my valuables to and from the main residence in the city and home in the hamptons. Any monkey engineer from the thirdworld can develop a technically "safe" car if allowed to not properly engineer safety, i.e. AMG torque, high performance brakes, MB presafe technology, steering dynamics, etc. Collisions are better avoided and inept active/passive safety is the most mockable aspect of any Asian-engineered car....kind of like any pos US-engineered/built car. As I've said, I've driven a rental Toyota and it was a very scary experience (even driving at 65mph) Anyone who values their safety would not drive anything less than a MB, BMW or Audi.
    Holy fuck dude, I tried to be nice but you're just a fucking retard. They didn't just make that shit up, they actually crashed cars. And your 'fanboy' attitude towards German cars is kind of pathetic. Did you even read what I wrote about the brakes costing as much as some Kias? Not everyone can afford that shit. If I was rich as fuck I wouldn't even ride in a car, I'd fly. Everywhere. But alas, falling into the 'norm' has me in an average car that I feel safe in. How fucking quick are you going that you need S class safety? You're in NY, not Germany with the famous Autobahn with its lack of speed limit. 24 air bags aren't gonna do shit in a stop-and-go traffic fender-bender, tool. Take your fucking ignorant ass and shut the fuck up, you have proven yourself to be a dip shit on more than one occasion. And as far as that rental, are you surprised that it was shitty? It's a rental. And for having a driver, one begs to ask the question, what the fuck are you doing in a Toyota rental? All the Benzs out for the day or what? No one is saying that Mercedes Benz aren't safe, but the Kia was safer. Be sure to let Jeeves know so when he has to drive home for the night, its a safe one. EDIT: I just re-read your child like response again and have a few more things to add. They aren't low paid journalists doing the crash tests. They are working for the IIHS They aren't doing real world tests? The test they were doing in the article I posted was from a 31mph side impact from an SUV. Kinda like what happens when an idiot runs a red and t-bones someone. That happened to my mom years back, so don't say that shit doesn't happen. "Any monkey engineer from the thirdworld can develop a technically "safe" car if allowed to not properly engineer safety" WTF? lol. You are gonna have to re explain this, because my 6 year old niece could word a sentence better than that. I anxiously wait your reply to read some more hilarious psycho babble that is totally ignorant and completely incorrect. Peace out.

2. Ben85

Ben85 Senior member

For your information, I was out "camping" i.e. in hell out in the wilderness in Colarado so clearly had no chance of renting a civilized car. It wasn't a far drive so I thought driving a pos Camry a very short distance wouldn't risk my health, but now I must say..it's a surprise I'm still alive to have to share the story. What a scary experience. Anyone who has experienced fine German engineering, and has had the misfortune of piloting a pos econombox knows the difference and confidence of German engineering vis-a-vis econobox Asian/U.S. pos, (unlike poor inexperienced safety "pundits") [​IMG] Who cares about elevated costs of German brakes? Anyone can (should) afford to stretch their meager budget lease a proper and civilized German car. You can't, however, ever buy back one's health if one's "economical" bet on an Asia/US pos proves misjudged in that perhaps once in a lifetime major collision. [​IMG]
    I don't even know how to respond to this. You avoided the IIHS completely, what are your thoughts on that? And again, the fucking KIA was rated safer than the ugly ass Benz. So take your 'German safety' and shove it in your ass. Also, look into it, Ferrari was the first to put carbon ceramic brakes on a production car. So the brakes are 'Italian' by your way of thinking. Listen bud, if there is one thing I know, it's cars. Talk all the shit you want, but at the end of the day you don't know fuck all. BTW, nice edit after the fact. I'm sure that if I could afford a 120,000+ car, I wouldn't be caught dead in a Camry. Doesn't mean they aren't safe, they are just no where near as bad ass as say a DBS. That's Aston Martin in case you were puzzled. Probably the most beautiful cars in the world.

3. Ben85

Ben85 Senior member

That's exactly what it means.

Go to bed.

You have effectively proven yourself to be a troll. You are too fucking stupid to earn the kind of money that buys a 100,000+ car. The way you say that a Camry isn't safe just boggles my mind. It's probably not as safe as an S class, but shit bitch. Its a 25,000-35,000 car. What the fuck do you expect? I wish I could just punch you straight in the face. Twice.

4. Ben85

Ben85 Senior member

I'm not a troll but I'm honest, and you're actually right. I didn't purchase it myself...it was a gift. U mad? LOL. Think of me when your front wheel drive puny brake pos death sentence is spinning out of control. [​IMG]
    Why would I be mad because some douchebag child claims to have been given a gift? And as for the U mad? Holy shit son, visit body building forums much? That's all those muscle dummies say. What on earth am I going to be doing that would case my car to go spinning out of control? I think you watch too many cartoons. Perhaps you are the one that needs to go to bed there, little man. Night.

5. Ben85

Ben85 Senior member

Just do me a favor and prove you own that car.

6. robotosan

robotosan Active Member

Im not sure what to laugh at most... the stupidity behind SLSAMG's post or the fact Ben85 is getting worked up by it.

: popcorn:

7. Ben85

Ben85 Senior member

I'm sorry Benjamin but I'm not in the mood for your silly little games.
    Lol, figures. If I claimed to own a car like that I probably wouldn't be able to prove it either. robotosan - Thanks for being on the competent side of things. I am aware that I was getting carried away, but he is just so fucking stupid I can't help myself.

8. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I don't understand why you would pick an AMG model if you're riding in the back and want a softer ride. I'd have gone with an S600. Actually, I'd probably have gone with an S550 4-matic so that it can handle NY weather.

9. username79

username79 Senior member

Useless data by lowly paid journalists who aren't smart enough (and lack the funds) to understand real world driving , etc...they don't hand out certain jobs (or cars) to just anyone. Even as a kid I've always been suspicious and nervous of Asian engineered brakes and safety structures/systems when staff would ferry my valuables to and from the main residence in the city and home in the hamptons in their econobox Toyotas w/ archaic active safety features and poorly lit/cheap non-xenon lamps. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

...unable to detect trolling...

[​IMG]

10. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

I hate people who say Umad.

11. East2West

East2West Senior member

I don't understand why you would pick an AMG model if you're riding in the back and want a softer ride. I'd have gone with an S600. Actually, I'd probably have gone with an S550 4-matic so that it can handle NY weather.

There it is. Although, I rode down to Islamorada a few weeks ago in my friend's S65 renntech and the ride was fantastic. Smooth and on rails. WOT down past the highway and the exhaust note is amazing. Loved the car, but wouldn't want to drive it in the snow so, as you stated, the 4matic would be most appropriate (also the lack of area to fully use the car's power). What's the point of all that power in gridlocked traffic?

12. lokeland

lokeland Member

All i have to say is: Buy a Honda.
    I drive a Honda Civic 1.4 and i practically grew up in Honda Civics too.
    It's safe, reliable, fun to drive and they look great.
    Just look for youself:
    [​IMG]

Everyone is always trying to get into the back seat by going in the front door. They all seem to miss the handle on the back door which is somewhat hidden and think it's a 3-door, but it is actually a 5-door and it's not tight either.
    I don't know what Civics costs in the US, but i think it's inside your price range. It's a pretty cheap car.

13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

The Civic doesn't look like that in the US, in fact, they don't even have the hatchback anymore. Completely different car.

14. D Yizz

D Yizz Senior member

The coupe doesn't make any sense for a long term, daily driver.

4 Door yes.

The 2011 redesigned Elantra would have my eye if I were buying new, with that budget, and looking for something to last 5+ years (100k mile warranty I believe).

A coupe has made perfect sense form me, married with 1 kid, for the past 6 years. Sure, my wife has an SUV, but he hasnt mentioned he NEEDS 4 doors and huge cargo space. BTW, my coupe can accommodate a pretty large haul from Costco. Its always curious why people say coupes make no sense. Two seaters, could be, if you definitely need the extra seating.