1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

New car for an upwardly mobile young professional

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ektaylor, Jan 6, 2011.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I really should have added 'white' in there somewhere.

The only way to make that concept more heinous would be to have an "Asian-American" subject. I can simply envision some holocaust of a Chinese-American who is an upwardly mobile young professional.

2. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Get the Elantra, or get an Accord. Ignore everyone who's trying to tell you to get a certified pre-owned car; buy the Hyundai new and you will not regret it. Ignore the StyleForum insistence that you must buy a luxury car with perfect design.

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I'm surprised nobody's recommended the Volkswagon CC. Its a sweet ride.

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I recommend a new Hyundai Sonata. They look good, have good reliability, low maintenance costs, and a good warranty. A nicely equipped one can be bought for around $20,000.

A used BMW, MB, Porsche, and the like will over time drain your wallet in maintenance costs and repairs.

5. BC2012

BC2012 Senior member

Be like me and get a Civic. I'm the man, so it's a pretty obvious choice.

Seriously, though, it's a solid car for the money, gas mileage is awesome, looks nice (I think), and runs forever. H0nda prid3 4 lyf3, too.

6. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^Smart move.

7. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

+1

And don't get it new. Get recertified cars.

+100. My current car (Infiniti G35 coupe) is the last one I will buy new. After almost 8 years, it is still great and should serve me well for another 8. Nonetheless, my next one will be a used/certified.

8. artoftime

artoftime Senior member

What an hideous and odious combination of words: upwardly mobile young professional.
    [​IMG]

+1

9. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

buy a 370Z and finance the difference

-100. There's nothing better than no car payments. Financing a depreciable asset is not advisable. Don't start off your professional life by being owned by the bank. Its a hard habit to break.

10. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

-100. There's nothing better than no car payments. Financing a depreciable asset is not advisable. Don't start off your professional life by being owned by the bank. Its a hard habit to break.

It's not terribly advisable to drop 30k on a 2 seater sports car with a stiff suspension either. It's not a great daily driver or utility car (wtf are you going to fit in there? a briefcase?) or something he's likely going to want to be driving for 5+ years.

Great for a 2nd "weekend car".

11. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

It's not terribly advisable to drop 30k on a 2 seater sports car with a stiff suspension either. It's not a great daily driver or utility car (wtf are you going to fit in there? a briefcase?) or something he's likely going to want to be driving for 5+ years.

That's exactly why I decided to buy the G35 over the 350Z. Same price range, but with the G35 you get 4 seats, luxury, much better interior and much better service (Infiniti over Nissan). Believe it or not, a Nissan salesman told me to "f__k off" (in those words) when I told him I had decided to go with the G35 :)

12. jkennett

jkennett Senior member

east coast to west and back to east. currently res
    5-8 years is long time in car years. I'd go with something fairly classic looking and reliable. 3 series styling would have been ideal since they don't change too dramatically. However, that's a bad idea with the reliability in mind. I'd go for a lightly used Acura TSX if I were in your position.

13. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

I suggest you Die Yuppie Scum!!

14. Gtea

Gtea Member

From a current Civic owner, get the new Sonata.

1st year of car cycle, dependable, low maintenance, great gas mileage, low cost, etc. I used to own a Hyundai and the quality of current Hyundais are better than Honda from my experience. They are still trying to prove themselves so they have to make their product better and lower price.

Also if you get it at the right time and discount, you might get it cheaper than a used one. Do some research.

15. username79

username79 Senior member

Kia Optima. Saw one in person the other day. Saw it from a distance and it had my attention. Didn't know what it was but knew it was "special." When I realized it was an 18K Kia I was genuinely impressed. One of the few cars in this range where you could actually have some pride of ownership. Hiring Audi's talent was a good move. [​IMG] I hope the brake calipers don't come red as standard. [​IMG] Amusing similarity to the A4 interior: [​IMG]

16. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Kia Optima.
    Hiring Audi's talent was a good move.

Interesting. What Audi talent have they hired?

17. matt22616

matt22616 Senior member

You should look for a late model import broker in your area. My family buys all of our cars from one. These guys just buy them when the 30K lease is up and sell them for nothing. I got an 08 VW Passat for 15K w/ 30K miles about a year ago. Looks good, practical, great gas mileage. http://donohooauto.com/

18. MikeO

MikeO Active Member

Interesting. What Audi talent have they hired?

Peter Schrayer I believe.

19. username79

username79 Senior member

Peter Schrayer I believe.

Yes. The fact that the acquisition of one individual has resulted in a drastic change for the better in the attractiveness and desirability of an very downmarket auto maker really makes me wonder if the reason for all the ugly cars on the road is due to a severe lack of good talent in the auto design industry. How else do you explain Acura for the last ten years? I wonder how much they paid Schrayer, then..

20. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Kia Optima.

That car looks good. I don't think I've seen one IRL.