• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New business wardrobe question

francisco_bt

Reaction score
I just got hired by a Management Consulting firm that requires wearing a suit and a tie for work. I bought 3 Ralph Ralph Lauren suits. They are 2 button, slim cut, with flat front pants, as I'm looking for "modern" look. I went with black leather balmoral captoes (I've read here they are the most appropiate type for business). The colors I got are solid charchoal, pinstripped navy, and pinstripped gray.

Are the black shoes appropiate with the navy suit? I was thinking of buying a pair of cordovan shoes to go with it. I own also black slip ons that would be of great help when going through airport security, but are this too sloppy for business attire?

My other question is about shirts and ties. I prefer medium or semi-skinny ties, and thinner knots like the four-in-hand, as opposed to the windsor. Is this more modern looking, or should I stick with the windsor (the lapels are kind of thin)? This brings me to the other question about what kind of collar should I be looking for: pointed, medium spread, or wide spread? I was thinking more in the lines of medium spread, maybe even a few pointed collars.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

dasai

Reaction score
Sounds like you've started out on the right foot. If I had to nitpick, I'd say you should have gotten one more solid in navy or mid-grey rather than two pinstripes to start with, but it'll all even out once you flesh out your wardrobe a bit more. (To be honest, you're in better shape than I am with suits, though I don't need much as an educator.)

I'd say the black shoes are fine for everything you've got, but a pair of dark brown oxfords (perhaps punch-cap or quarter-brogue) would also work with the navy pinstripe as long as your workplace isn't super conservative. As for the slip-ons, someone more knowledgeable than I would probably have something more to say.

If you prefer narrow ties with narrow knots, a narrower spread (medium or point) is definitely the way to go. SF likes to harp on the idea of the collar points disappearing under the jacket lapels, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply in the case of a point collar. Just make sure they have some decent length to them.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by francisco_bt
Are the black shoes appropiate with the navy suit? I was thinking of buying a pair of cordovan shoes to go with it.

Black shoes go fine with navy, though you should probably still get the cordovan as well just so you can rotate between both pairs instead of wearing the same pair every day. I would normally avoid slip-ons with suits, though it depends what type they are; you may be able to pull of a nice brown penny loafer with a suit, but a more 'fashiony' slip-on would not be recommended.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads