• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Briefcase Staining Clothes?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought a Black Latico briefcase from TJ Maxx and recently have found black greasy stains on my pants (and sometimes shirts) where the briefcase rubs off on. I'm inclined to believe its the breifcase because the stains tend to happen exactly where it rests or rubs on when its strapped to my shoulder when Im walking.

What do you think I should do: Assume greasy rub off shouldnt come from my briefcase and tough it out? Try to return the briefcase and get another one?

I have felt along all of my briefcase and havent been able to find where the grease is coming from!!

stach

Reaction score
Strap needs a good rubdown with alcohol, especially the sides. Then some Lexol.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks. How do I apply this, Liberally or small amouts? Oh, and what's lexol?

stach

Reaction score
Put the alcohol on a rag, then on the strap. Google Lexol.
wink.gif

Jim

Reaction score
Use transparent polish. If any rubs off it'll be less visible.

mm1212

Reaction score
I've recently run into the same problem. My briefcase has been staining my pants, slightly, by my right rear pocket which the briefcase rubs against while I walk.

However, I applied conditioner to the briefcase about a week before first wearing it.

Perhaps I did not apply enough or missed some areas?

Should I, too, apply alcohol to the briefcase before applying a conditioner?

mm1212

Reaction score
bump

Also, when I do wipe my bag rather hard, the cloth does pick up some of the color of the briefcase.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics