New Bluchers - Shoe tree or nah? Will be in storage.

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by mazy, Mar 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mazy

mazy Member

Hey guys, I just bought some new Allen Edmonds (leather) for my wedding, but the wedding is in July. I don't plan on wearing them until then, so is it a better idea to keep them stored in the plastic and shoe box it came in, or leave them out with cedar trees in them? Not sure if the trees will benefit a brand new shoe or not (I don't think so based on what I've read). Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

It won't matter, but if I were you, I would break them in before the big day. It will help in terms of comfort and traction, in which case you will need to use the trees. They could probably use a spit shine as well.

3. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Good advice here @mazy

4. mazy

mazy Member

Thank you both for replying. I was worried about dirtying/scuffing them up but this makes sense. I'll wear them around the house for a while.

5. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

They're shoes. They're meant to be worn. If they get dirty, they can be cleaned.

Definitely wear them at least a couple of times before the wedding. And not just in the house. Put them on and go about a normal day's routine with them. Walk on the sidewalk with them. Leave them on your feet for several hours at a time. In short, treat them like shoes, and not like Fabergé eggs. The last thing you need on your wedding day is to be in pain, because of some shoe issue you never had the opportunity to notice before.

As for whether shoe trees benefit new shoes... well, let me put it this way, they won't do the shoes any harm, and keeping trees in your shoes is a habit worth acquiring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.