• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New blazer - shoulders too wide?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
very generous of you to say though I agree, it is certainly on the more structured end of the spectrum. If the OP puts a proper shirt on the jacket will look better than it does in these photos.

IMO important to recognize that there is a wider range of acceptable fit than many people here seem to be comfortable with.

ezwicky

Reaction score
But you do write the truth... I do indeed feel like a kid wearing his dad's jacket. To be honest, I wish I hadn't bought it. Hopefully it can be salvaged. On a more optimistic note, I found a good tailor whose shop also does MTM and custom suits and jackets. He's making me a custom Fresco sport jacket in charcoal that should be ready in a month or so. Another poster here on SF pointed me his way.

707 Fine Clothing in Richmond he is.

compuccesory

Reaction score
very generous of you to say though I agree, it is certainly on the more structured end of the spectrum. If the OP puts a proper shirt on the jacket will look better than it does in these photos.

IMO important to recognize that there is a wider range of acceptable fit than many people here seem to be comfortable with.

This is definitely true, I'm a size 45-46 jacket and i have jackets with seam to seam shoulder measurements that range from 18.5" to 19.75", all of which fit my shoulders without any divots or wrinkles, although I prefer the narrower shoulder. it's definitely dependent on the structure or lack thereof of the shoulder and the fullness of the sleeve.

leftync

Reaction score
Congratulations on the weight loss. You’ll look better no matter what you wear.

ezwicky

Reaction score
Here's some I took myself this morning. Turning the phone camera around makes the flash unusable, so the pics are not lit well, but I did my best to demonstrate various aspects of standing still and arm movement. There's really no blank walls in our house, nor any place that's not got a window showing somewhere.

Thanks again for all your input.

Eric

Attachments

• IMG-6198.jpg
    IMG-6198.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG-6207.jpg
    IMG-6207.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG-6217.jpg
    IMG-6217.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG-6241.jpg
    IMG-6241.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG-6251.jpg
    IMG-6251.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG-6258.jpg
    IMG-6258.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 3,873
  • IMG-6230.jpg
    IMG-6230.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 3,821

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures.

my thoughts:
IMO the jacket fits pretty well in the upper body. The shoulders are extended but again IMO this is a matter of taste. Length of the jacket body is fine. The sleeve length is good but your shirt sleeves are long.

The two main issues that I see are: the buttoning point is high and the quarters are very closed -- in fact the fronts are 'scissoring' slightly. The former can't be corrected by tailoring but maybe the second could -- I'd ask a tailor. Armholes are a bit larger than I prefer but they don't stand out to me as unacceptably large.

leftync

Reaction score
Curious as to whether you have one shoulder lower than the other.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I didn’t comment on the low right shoulder but I think you’re correct

ezwicky

Reaction score
Yes. I never noticed it, but my tailor said the same thing, so did another guy at his shop.

compuccesory

Reaction score
Lots of people have asymmetrical shoulders, your right arm also looks like it's either longer or hanging down a bit more due to the low shoulder. I suspect the latter ( I have the same issue but my shoulders are even so my right arm is actually like 3/4" longer than my left) but you can easily determine this for yourself in the mirror. The way to resolve this on a jacket is to even the shoulders out with padding (more padding on the lower side) and to hem the sleeves to different lengths.

EdT

Reaction score
If you don't like it, wear it around the house like a bathrobe or smoking jacket ...still more classy than a bathrobe ! ...LoL

ezwicky

Reaction score
If only my wife would let me smoke cigars in the house... As Jeeves would say, "Women are odd in that respect, sir".

Dashing Chris

Reaction score
I'm not an expert but its seems left one hanging over the shoulder... I think it need to size down abit...

endag

Reaction score
If the shoulders aren't too wide, which they may be by a half inch or whatever, the armholes may be too low for you? Perhaps that makes the chest blossom out from that padding that extends far lower than your armpit. Maybe move to a short version of that suit? I don't know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads