• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Bespoke Coat

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
great looking suit shame you could not give us a side and rear view

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
???
Simply put, less firm looking coats look more relaxed, and thus better to me.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I understand the view that a certain amount of waist suppression can tip over into either a slightly more feminine look, or a more fussy militaristic look (and isn't that an odd dichotomy-- the same look can be at once feminine and ubber macho), I think its an exceptional piece and wouldn't change a thing. In fact, I want it. Which way to the nearest Rubinacci workshop?

horton

Reaction score
Looks great. The sleeves seem absolutely perfectly tapered.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite gorgeous. Perfect. I'm also wondering what the lining is like.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This coat looks fantastic, although I would have expected something more flamboyant than tulip table and bertoia chairs from you.
smile.gif

!luc

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Not even '60s suits nip the waist that much. There definitely is a point where you're directing attention to what you really shouldn't on a male. Simply put, yes -- it gets feminine.
Sir, I must beg to politely disagree. The '60 were characterised by an exquisite degree of waist suppression on men's coats. You can clearly this see on this coat from '66: 1866 that is
smile.gif
It looks perfectly masculine, elegant and elongating. Above all it flatters those of us who are a bit trimmer, when it helps to bring out a bit of shape. This tendency to cut to bring out the natural elegance of the human form was something you could still see at the turn of the century. This one comes from 1901:
morningdressbz9.jpg
Perfectly masculine. Perfectly elegant. It's a shame they started introducing these atrocious modern floppy coats a la Scholte and Armani
smile.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Love the fabric, love the cut - including the waist suppression. Everything seems balanced and well-proportioned. Normally not a fan of patch pockets, but they work for this coat. Bravo!

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Sir, I must beg to politely disagree. The '60 were characterised by an exquisite degree of waist suppression on men's coats. You can clearly this see on this coat from '66:

1866 that is
smile.gif

It looks perfectly masculine, elegant and elongating. Above all it flatters those of us who are a bit trimmer, when it helps to bring out a bit of shape.

This tendency to cut to bring out the natural elegance of the human form was something you could still see at the turn of the century. This one comes from 1901:

morningdressbz9.jpg

Perfectly masculine. Perfectly elegant.

It's a shame they started introducing these atrocious modern floppy coats a la Scholte and Armani
smile.gif

The suppression looks nice here, but look at the length of the coat.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
this froc coat looks a bit like karl largerfield!
lol8[1].gif

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
The suppression looks nice here, but look at the length of the coat.

Do you mean it's a bit short? If so then we forget that when waist seam construction, long skirted coats were fashionable and widely worn, their lengths went up and down like a yo-yo according to fashion.

This one is from 1846 - even shorter. Waist suppression even more dramatic (though still remarkably elegant and not quite so overdone as the 1830's).

Fast forward to 1905 and they are quite long - to just below the knee.

You can see from all of these examples that the hourglass silhouette in men is quite elongating and terribly flattering.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics