New Berluti Store in NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bry2000, Apr 1, 2005.

1. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

It's an old Kenyan safari outfitter I bought two years ago. Lots of one of a kind antiques and neat "guy stuff" as well. Ask about the 1929 original Land Speed Record photograph. It's really cool. I also have a cig case that was a gift from the Duke of Windsor, while he was still Edward VIII. Unfortunately, I haven't been to Africa since I opened the store, but am due for a trip soon.

2. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

Sounds neat---Didn't I see a safari jacket in the window?
    Grayson

3. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

Yeah. I designed a line of hot weather performance clothing. It uses nano-technology and is water resistant and moisture wicking while still being made of Egyptian cotton. I'd love some feedback on the clothing from you as it's my first line.

4. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

I'll try to drop by after my Carlyle visit on Thursday. You'll know it's me because I'll be wearing the pith helmet [​IMG] Grayson

5. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

If you forget it, we have a vintage Bombay Bowler in stock for you. Nick is the store manager and has forgotten more about campaign furniture than I have ever known.

6. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

My pith helmet is from the British Foreign Service Anglo-Zulu War of 1879, but one can't go through life with just one pith helmet, after all. [​IMG] Grayson

7. itzamazing

itzamazing Senior member

The decline of Fifth Avenue (and midtown) as a premier shopping district has been well documented, but it still holds its own and attracts premier stores. Yes, pedestrian chain stores such as Banana and GAP dominate, but Pucci and Bottega Veneta opened brand new flagship stores just last year (BV coming from Madison Ave), and Ferragamo and Zegna both moved into fancy new digs. It used to be that the closer to 57th, the more upscale the store was, but Abercrombie (sadly) is setting up shop in the old Fendi space on 56th, next to Prada (I believe Fendi is relocating to the opposite side of the street). The foot traffic on Fifth is what's unbearable, but it is what appeals to mass market retailers that have come to redefine the Avenue.

As for the the location of Berluti, I think it's perfect. I'm sure rents north of 72nd are lower, but the clientele needed to make the store a success will know it's there. They aren't relying on the average tourists for business and don't need a high profile location. Plus, Upper Madison isn't exactly lacking, with Vera Wang, Michael Kors and Missoni all within reach.

8. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

Cool, who was the maker? Is it a Wolsley pattern?

9. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

When JM Weston was originally situated in the very bustling midtown area of 57th between Park & Madison, their customer traffic was a fraction of what is is now at their new location on Madison and 68th.  Like Weston, I think Berluti will be a destination store.
    Grayson

10. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Wow, Madison in the 60s-70s is quickly becoming a shoe collector's heaven. Starting with Lobb Paris in the low-60s, Tanino Crisci, Santoni, Weston, Lattanzi, Ralph Lauren/PL, and, now, Berluti. If you start your walk at the edge of the park, you may also include Borrelli, the Kitons @ BG, and StefanoBi @ Vacca. Pretty elite group.

BTW, doesn't Ercolino meet his clients somewhere around this area as well?

11. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

Perry and his bespoke shoes got "the boot" from his mid-town location, and he's looking to re-locate elsewhere in NY. I've put him in touch with my NY tailor to see about a space sharing situation.
    Grayson

12. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

Davide Cenci, 801 Madison Ave., is a source for Gravati shoes. Stubbs & Wooten, purveyors of velvet slippers, is also in this vicinity (72nd & Mad?)
    Grayson

13. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I'll be at Corthay in May Thinking of you boys Stuck in the States... [​IMG]

14. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

BASTARD.... koji

15. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

What's your size? I'll take pictures for you [​IMG]