• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Basic Navy MtM Suit - Help With Fabric Choice

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Hey guys, :)

I’m in need of your advice. After a long time of not wearing suits and having a bit of change in taste, I found out that I need to get my hands on new navy suit. That’s a basic navy suit - an all rounder. I just checked in with my regular MtM place and found two fabrics that’ll do the job, but I’m extremely uncertain on what to go with.

Both are from Loro Piana, in a twill weave and navy in colour. One is a S120 that’s also more robust (around 340g, if I’m remembering correctly). The other one is a S130 fabric at around 270g. The price is exactly the same on both.

They recommended me to go with the first, more robust fabric. It’s more durable and will be suitable for more or less every season here in Sweden (except perhaps when summer is at its peak). The trousers should also drape better (keep in mind though that I’m going fully lined trousers, as I always do. Don’t get as easily stuck on my otc socks). The other one felt a bit more luxurious and not as stiff as the prior one.

I actually went with their recommendation and chose the first fabric, but I’m having second thoughts. It’s okay if I change my mind very soon. So, what do you guys think?

Appreciate all your help! Thanks. :)

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which company is making the suit? That's a more important consideration.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My basic navy worsted twill suit is around 270g (don't know what the S number is) and I wish I had gone with something a little heavier. It wrinkles easily at the sleeves, the trousers don't hold a crease as well, and because twill is a tight weave the lighter fabric weight doesn't make it any cooler in the hot and humid DC summers.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Which company is making the suit? That's a more important consideration.
It's a local place that does their MtM through Munro.

My basic navy worsted twill suit is around 270g (don't know what the S number is) and I wish I had gone with something a little heavier. It wrinkles easily at the sleeves, the trousers don't hold a crease as well, and because twill is a tight weave the lighter fabric weight doesn't make it any cooler in the hot and humid DC summers.
I was epescially warned about about how easiliy it wrinkles and that the trousers don't hold creases well...

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like solid color suits with a little pattern, eg. very small herringbone or
other weave to give it come texture. Not necessarily noticed except
up close. Adds "interest" to solid color.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Sweden? I’d definitely go with the heavier fabric.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads