• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New at this, Tan blazer with dark waistcoat?

Suit To kill

Reaction score
I'm 100% new to the world of suits, blazers, and waistcoats. I'm starting to wise up now, but I may need some help by the experienced classy dressed men it seems you all are.

The Question: I'm thinking of picking up a light tan/beige blazer from H&M (I know you cringing, but I'm a broke university student) could I realistically pair it with a dress shirt and a dark waistcoat? I'm a slender guy of average height and kin-of pale complexion. Its just for casual wear, but it seems that google doesn't have answer!

Thanks in advance for al the help on this and in future endeavours (I fear I will need lots).

Ivar

Reaction score
Five will get you twenty that it will look like hell, but never say never ...

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you need a vest?

If this is a vest you own, describe it and the tan jacket in more detail. If you're thinking of buying one, don't. You'd be better off putting the money a vest would cost towards shirts, shoes, or a navy blazer.

Suit To kill

Reaction score
Ok, got it. Spend what you got on what you need. Just trying to scope out some looks with blazers and waistcoats in a casual setting--like say throwing on a waistcoat and dress shirt under a nice fitting leather jacket. At this point I don't need an expensive suit for the workplace, I'm just working on throwing out my "teenage boy" clothes for a new classy (read proper fitting) put together look.

Thanks for your response! If you have any other tips feel free to send 'em along...

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vests without the other 2/3rds of a three-piece suit are still "teenage boy clothes." Even with a sportcoat, they go wrong as much as they go right.

I say this with the disdain a 21-year-old can have for dressing like a teenager, so take from that what you will.

Start with shirts that fit well. Then add tailored jackets, sweaters, or casual jackets. I didn't get this right myself -- I'm unhappy with how most of my shirts fit. They were thrifted, so I didn't sink a lot into them, but I wish I'd gotten myself sorted out on shirts earlier.

Last edited:

Suit To kill

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. It seems like the vest is more of a piece that needs to be supported by a wardrobe that I don't currently possess. I'll start with a relatively cheap navy (or dark grey?) jacket and have it tailored so it doesn't look THAT bad. I guess I'll throw in some shirts to match. More so I have at least something to wear besides crapy t-shirts and jeans. I'm also getting nice pair of leather boots which should help.

I'll keep skimming the threads on here (just signed up, so a little unfamiliar with the system) for ideas and know-how.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy. Not dark gray. Dark gray jackets should either be tweed, or the top half of a suit.

Navy jacket, some jeans, tan chino trousers, brown leather shoes, light blue or blue/white striped shirts. Those are the basic foundations of this kind of look.

YoungSweet

Reaction score
I'd say think about the line of work that you will have after school and start building your wardrobe toward that. You will need a suit at some point, nothing has to be expensive, just presentable.

Suit To kill

Reaction score
You're the best. This stuff is invaluably helpful--especially when all the various company websites (from H&M to Armani) show grey and tan etc... suits/blazers as an equally valid way to get yourself started with a classy look.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're the best. This stuff is invaluably helpful--especially when all the various company websites (from H&M to Armani) show grey and tan etc... suits/blazers as an equally valid way to get yourself started with a classy look.
Well...

H&M and Armani are selling a look. That look will be different in ten years nine months, so they can sell a different one.

I like tan jackets, but navy is more versatile.

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pictures... or Braille, please.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tan is far from versatile and the vest OTT.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads