• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new apt- problems with the downstairs neighbors

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had some crazed downstairs neighbors a few years ago.

I won't deny that some of their claims were a little legitimate (one of my roommates really did stomp his heels pretty damn hard when he walked without shoes on)...but for the most part they were either imagining things or hearing noise from another unit and attributing it to us (sometimes directions can be misleading).

My favorite two occurrences were when they called the cops on us when we weren't home. We show up at the appartment with a bunch of groceries after a costco run and go upstairs with the first load. On the way back down for the second load, we pass some cops coming up the stairs and ask if anything is wrong and they say "no, everything is fine". When we reach the top floor with the next load of groceries, the cops are standing on the landing in front of our wide open doors saying they were called for a noise complaint. We were just like "as you can see by our groceries...we have not been home for hours". We joked with the cops for a bit and then they went back downstairs...as they were leaving, I heard one of the girls below us yell at them for leaving because she could "still hear it".

The second time, our door was sitting wide open (we had both apartments on the top floor so often left the doors open between them) and we are in my roommate's room when we hear a knock. Go out into the hall to see her knocking on our door frame (since the door was wide open) and she's like "I bet you know why I am here" and I was like "umm, I have no idea?"
She realizes that our apartment is completely silent and goes off about how she can hear noise--she can even tell me what song she could hear being played too loud. I don't know why she didn't figure this out before she knocked, but after this I don't think we got any more complaints until she moved out.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is one reason I've never pulled the trigger on purchasing a condo. I have no intentions of being quiet so my neighbors can sleep at 8pm

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is one reason I've never pulled the trigger on purchasing a condo. I have no intentions of being quiet so my neighbors can sleep at 8pm

Concrete floors make up for this mostly (and this level of crazy probably only comes out in buildings with wooden bones)...but this is always something I have had against the idea of buying a condo. When I buy, I want it to be mine--no stupid rules about when I can bring a couch home or if the only elavator my bicycle is allowed into is running. No neighbors sharing my walls/floor/ceiling...

The only reasons I would consider it is if it was a relatively low price compared to my income at the time or because there are parts of homeownership that I like, such as renovating things to be just right (you can only do so much in a rental). Also, I have not found a lot of 1BR apartments that meet my standards and my price range while there are many condos in the same range that look great (though if I was going to own something for a while...I would have to pony up for a 2BR in this city).

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so a little update on the whole situation...

ever since the original post, problems have continued with the neighbors downstairs. ive talked to them, but they weren't ever interested in hearing what i had to say which is fine by me.

a little while after the OP, i called the police when they continually banged on the ceiling at 2-3AM while yelling at me to "shut up." i also called the management office and reported the problem.

for a few months after that they were pretty good. no more ceiling banging, yelling through the walls/over the balcony, etc. however they have upped the ante by being noisy themselves, turning their home theater system up so loud that the floor would shake during the day and talking so that i can hear them. also i can hear the guy downstairs snoring every night lol. but it really doesnt bother me all that much so i havent made note specifically of the dates of these occurrences nor have i complained to management or the police.

on the other hand, they have called the cops on us at least twice more, once because the dogs were barking while we were away. everytime we talk to the police, they alway seem to be on our side: no fines, no reports, etc. one officer even told our neighbors once that their expectations may be a little too much. management hasnt said anything to us.

so tonight when i get home, i have a note on my door. it is handwritten with a printout of some question they had answered on justanswer.com (so they actually paid for this i think lol). it states:

"My neighbor stays up all night and is very noisy. I can't sleep at night, I have called the police 3 times with no result. Can I sue them and how much will it cost?"

additionally, they handwrite, "we are sueing you & you will pay for our move. expect papers to be served."

assuming they do figure out how to actually sue me, how should i approach this situation? part of me wants to laugh and throw this note away, but i also want to expose these clowns as frauds.

thanks

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why didn't you make video evidence as Piobaire suggested? You're dealing with neighbors who call the police on you and you don't proactively create evidence that exonerates you?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When they're too loud, call the cops. Let them file a complaint for you.
Also, get evidence. Probably get a db(A) meter, too.
Call the management that they're blackmailing you without letting them know - it's still their house.

Last edited:

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Call their bluff

"Sir,

I anticipated this lawsuit many months ago, and on the advice of my lawyer I have recorded your excessively noisy antics since date. For instance, on date your sound system was played at an excessive volume from time to time. All told, I've recorded 37 events. These events I shall happily produce in court in my counter suit.

Regards,

cheessus"

Last edited:

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why didn't you make video evidence as Piobaire suggested? You're dealing with neighbors who call the police on you and you don't proactively create evidence that exonerates you?

When they're too loud, call the cops. Let them file a complaint for you.
Also, get evidence. Probably get a db(A) meter, too.
Call the management that they're blackmailing you without letting them know - it's still their house.

This.

Also, is this normal for American buildings? I'm sitting in a house right now built in the 1890s and I almost never hear neighbours, never heard a complaint, be it from music, bed-moving sex, fights where plates are thrown etc.

rexthedestroyer

Reaction score
I don't know, for some reason I think the OP IS the problem. He did say he is a night person. I wonder what he is doing at 3 am that is loud enough to wake up a couple in their 50's.

Kiwi Man

Reaction score

Call their bluff
"Sir,
I anticipated this lawsuit many months ago, and on the advice of my lawyer I have recorded your excessively noisy antics since date. For instance, on date your sound system was played at an excessive volume from time to time. All told, I've recorded 37 events. These events I shall happily produce in court in my counter suit.
Regards,
cheessus"

This will make them piss their pants!:slayer:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads