• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New and needing some help if possible.

GuitarGuy

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new suit, last time I bought one was in high school for graduation pictures, prom, graduation, and a funeral. great fun for senior year haha.

Anyway, I'm about 6'6, 6'7 in my decent dress shoes. I'm a bit overweight, light duty messed with my workout routine. I'm leaning toward a single breasted black suit from moderntailor.com just because of the low price and the fact that I don't wear a suit very often, only about 8 times since 2008. I'd just like to get into a better class of dress then the jeans and t-shirt I've been wearing when I'm not in a uniform. The suit with 3 shirts and a tie are around $430. Also, would a vest be a good addition to the suit, or do they not really go too well with the single breast cut?

I understand that there are folks who think anything less then a $3000 suit isn't really a suit. And I can appreciate the quality and workmanship that goes into those high end suits. But I'm only needing one for weddings, funerals, and official functions.

Bottom line, is this a reasonable suit for general use like I think it is, or would I be better off with a different cut/style/color. I've read reviews and heard generally good things about modern tailor. Anyone on here had any experiences good or bad from them? Any better suggestions for those of us in the boonies who don't have access to good tailors within a days drive?

Honestly, I would greatly appreciate any help you fine folks could give a new guy looking to suit up. Thank you all in advance.

Last edited:

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GuitarGuy, welcome to the forum. People will tell you to stay away from black and go with navy or charcoal instead and I'm one of those. The color will almost definitely look better on you and you can use the suit in the same way, even better than a black suit. I don't know anything about the quality of MT suits, but I think if you're not experienced with the program and clothing in general, chances are you will get a not great fitting suit. Maybe suitsupply is an option? Good value for money and you can always order a few sizes and cuts and see what fits.

GuitarGuy

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, GG. I agree with everything Sander said. I would definitely give Suit Supply a try. Next time you have a quick question, you can check out our weekly new member thread. This weeks thread is here http://www.styleforum.net/t/474830/...-questions-classic-menswear-wk-of-apr-13-2015. Best of luck.
I'm sorry, I posted in here, read the email from the welcoming group, and sent an email apologizing for my mistake. I suppose now would be a good time to apologize in general for screwing up your forums within 12 hours of joining lol

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm sorry, I posted in here, read the email from the welcoming group, and sent an email apologizing for my mistake. I suppose now would be a good time to apologize in general for screwing up your forums within 12 hours of joining lol

No need to apologize. Just letting you know it's there.

GuitarGuy

Reaction score
GuitarGuy, welcome to the forum. People will tell you to stay away from black and go with navy or charcoal instead and I'm one of those. The color will almost definitely look better on you and you can use the suit in the same way, even better than a black suit. I don't know anything about the quality of MT suits, but I think if you're not experienced with the program and clothing in general, chances are you will get a not great fitting suit. Maybe suitsupply is an option? Good value for money and you can always order a few sizes and cuts and see what fits.
Is there a reason to go with grey over black? I always thought black was the classic suit.

MarkyB

Reaction score
It is, it's just not as versatile as navy or charcoal/grey. So if you're going to get one suit, get a colour that you can wear for multiple events. However, black is not entirely useless so do what you think is good.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Black suits are for evening and formal wear, that's about it. Grey and navy are the two "staple" suits everyone who needs a suit should own.

GuitarGuy

Reaction score
Ok, I'm looking for a dark grey now, but with a single breasted suit, does a vest go well or is it to much? Good to have one to bump it up from going to a bar to going to a wedding/funeral? Like I said, I only wear a suit occasionally, so I'm hoping to get away with a single suit instead of a light grey and a black or something along those lines.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Single breasted three pieces are great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads