• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New and Lingwood...

johninla

Reaction score
Have any of you delt with this London based shop? I'm looking into their shoes.
John

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like their shirts. Love their ties. No experience with their shoes
I've had a good experience purchasing directly from the shop

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
overpriced crockett and jones.

some of the shoes in the luxury line appears to be made by grenson to masterpiece standards. the pricing is slightly overpriced there as well - paul stuart appears to be cheaper. but i'm not 100% sure of the provenances....

Kaga

Reaction score
IMMSC, New & Lingwood's shoes are made by Crockett & Jones (mostly benchgrade standard), Alfred Sargent and Grenson, with some shoes, particularly casuals, made in Italy. The styles are often very nice and unlike those sold by the same makers elsewhere, but the prices are very high for what you get. The St James collection appear to be Grenson Masterpieces, but the price is very expensive. The Russia Calf shoes are overpriced C&J benchgrades made with Russia calf rejected by Cleverleys.

Percy Trimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaga
IMMSC, New & Lingwood's shoes are made by Crockett & Jones (mostly benchgrade standard), Alfred Sargent and Grenson, with some shoes, particularly casuals, made in Italy. The styles are often very nice and unlike those sold by the same makers elsewhere, but the prices are very high for what you get. The St James collection appear to be Grenson Masterpieces, but the price is very expensive. The Russia Calf shoes are overpriced C&J benchgrades made with Russia calf rejected by Cleverleys.

I agree. Wait for the sales when a bargain is often to be had and special lines appear.

Trimmer

Don Goldstein

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Percy Trimmer
I agree. Wait for the sales when a bargain is often to be had and special lines appear.

Trimmer

When are their sales? Do they have sales like Brooks Brother where everything goes on sale?

Percy Trimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Goldstein
When are their sales? Do they have sales like Brooks Brother where everything goes on sale?

January and July (ish). If I remember rightly it's a so-many percent off everything increasing as the sale progresses type of sale. However in the shoe department I have the impression that much of the usual stock disappears to be replaced by sale stock. There is usually a wide selection on the website.

Trimmer

JJ4549

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaga

I agree about the price view but the view on the russia calf rejected by Cleverly's is not true if . New and lingwood from 1980's have had the right to the russia calf leather . The Cleverly brothers used to work for N& L however split off when change of ownership and new and lingwood came about ..... and with them went some of the russia leather

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a pair of N&L butterfly loafers. I suspect that they're Grensons. In any case, they're very well made.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
I have a pair of N&L butterfly loafers. I suspect that they're Grensons. In any case, they're very well made.

dude you got some shoes i guess you should start taking some pic's and post them for us to admire! no wonder you needed so many shoe tree's!
crackup[1].gif

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
dude you got some shoes i guess you should start taking some pic's and post them for us to admire! no wonder you needed so many shoe tree's!
crackup[1].gif

I bought 20 and have used them up already. They told me that my batch had to be made up de novo, explaining the three weeks delivery time, and that the wood is much nicer that before
devil.gif
I think they have a few more left over in my size 43-44....

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo

I have the Grenson Felstead, also listed on the N&L website, and would be interested in getting a pair of butterfly loafers. Several attempts to contact N&L through their website have been ignored. Can you shed light on how the N&L butterfly loafers fit?

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This shop offers some shoes made from 18th century Russian reindeer!

Their cashmere scarves look incredible...

Also, they've been the official tailor for the prestigious boys' school - Eton - for over a century.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bic Pentameter
I have the Grenson Felstead, also listed on the N&L website, and would be interested in getting a pair of butterfly loafers. Several attempts to contact N&L through their website have been ignored. Can you shed light on how the N&L butterfly loafers fit?

I wear a standard UK 9 medium and the N&L loafers in UK 9 fit a little snugly particularly around the 'waist' giving support but still comfortable.

As for luk-cha, apologies - I don't post photos because I have no digital camera except the one on my mobile phone, and photobucket is always a hassle to upload pictures to, at least for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads