1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

New American-made Bass Weejuns, anybody?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Jul 22, 2009.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

According to A Continous Lean, Bass will be releasing a new series of Weejuns made in Maine next year, designed by J. Press creative director Mark McNairy. The prices will range between $300 and $3000 (some will be made in exotic skins). Very cool.

2. randallr

randallr Senior member

Meh, I'm not sold.

3. JSC437

JSC437 Senior member

The prices will range between $300 and $3000 (some will be made in exotic skins). Very cool.

I like the inside-out Shell Cordovan ones.... those are cool (the loafers to the right of the blue suede)

But these shoes are expensive!

http://acontinuouslean.files.wordpre...ry_bass_18.jpg

I guess the Horween is stamped on the outside of the shoe, rather than the inside.

4. Minkous

Minkous Senior member

I love the collection but would never buy, not for those prices. You can get something a whole lot better quality with those prices

5. robin

robin Senior member

You can already buy similar shoes from Ralph Lauren, they just won't have Bass stamped on the insole.

6. JSC437

JSC437 Senior member

You can already buy similar shoes from Ralph Lauren, they just won't have Bass stamped on the insole.

What model? The Sumner (made in USA)?

7. robin

robin Senior member

What model? The Sumner (made in USA)?
    The sumner is one of them, among others. All of those made in USA models are made in Maine. GVH, ebay, and Gilt will have these for good prices as well. Here are a few I've purchased recently: [​IMG]

8. itsallinurhead

itsallinurhead Well-Known Member

I'd love the inside out ones.s [​IMG]

9. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

[​IMG]

According to A Continous Lean, Bass will be releasing a new series of Weejuns made in Maine next year, designed by J. Press creative director Mark McNairy. The prices will range between $300 and $3000 (some will be made in exotic skins). Very cool.

Why is it made in America means Chevys with plasticky dashboards, diabetes and these?

10. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Those price points are fucking obnoxious.

11. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

They look cool enough, but I don't see the advantage to paying so much for something that looks essentially the same as the Bass Gilman that I recently got for $65 on Piperlime. Foo - are we missing something?

12. JSC437

JSC437 Senior member

They look cool enough, but I don't see the advantage to paying so much for something that looks essentially the same as the Bass Gilman that I recently got for $65 on Piperlime. Foo - are we missing something?

I do not believe the Gilman is made in the USA.

13. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

What's your beef, small timer?

The stuff Polo has made up in the same factory is similar in price. Examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alden's "Cape Cod" line, also made in Maine, is $270-ish with leather soles.

- B

14. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

[​IMG]

I like the suede pair.

15. Sprezzatura2010

Sprezzatura2010 Senior member

A Bass Weejun at a Weston 180 price? No thank you. A new place of manufacture does not indicate better construction. See http://nymag.com/guides/everything/shoes/27345/ And those wrong-side up shell ones with the Horween stamp? I'd wear flip flops first!

16. voxsartoria

A Bass Weejun at a Weston 180 price? No thank you.

A new place of manufacture does not indicate better construction. See http://nymag.com/guides/everything/shoes/27345/

And those wrong-side up shell ones with the Horween stamp? I'd wear flip flops first!

I think that the Weston loafers are up past $625 now, while I would expect the Bass Weejuns to be less than half of that.

A Quoddy blucher or moc (they don't make pennies) would be in the low $200s, and the Quoddys are indeed, made with better materials (Horween Chromexcel leather) than the generic offshore Bass project.

I'm not sure that anyone knows yet what goes into the new Maine Weejuns, but people will get to compare directly shortly.

- B

17. robin

robin Senior member

A Quoddy blucher or moc (they don't make pennies) would be in the low $200s, and the Quoddys are indeed, made with better materials (Horween Chromexcel leather) than the generic offshore Bass project. I'm not sure that anyone knows yet what goes into the new Maine Weejuns, but people will get to compare directly shortly.
    Quoddy can make penny loafers with either a boat shoe or camp sole. O'Connell's even has some for sale on their site now. I'm not about to saw any of mine in half to find out, but I'm pretty sure all of these types of shoes are made with just a regular moccasin welt.

18. voxsartoria

Quoddy can make penny loafers with either a boat shoe or camp sole. O'Connell's even has some for sale on their site now.

I'm not about to saw any of mine in half to find out, but I'm pretty sure all of these types of shoes are made with just a regular moccasin welt.

Here's the one with the boat sole:

[​IMG]

- B

19. Sprezzatura2010

Sprezzatura2010 Senior member

I think that the Weston loafers are up past $625 now, while I would expect the Bass Weejuns to be less than half of that.

Tellingly, I think, nothing has been written that the American-made Weejuns will be made to a higher standard than the current ones. Only that they will be stamped "made in the USA." Unless the construction is much, much better than the current ones, the Westons are still a better value even at full price.

I'm not sure that anyone knows yet what goes into the new Maine Weejuns, but people will get to compare directly shortly.

At the prices they seem to be expecting to fetch (in this economy, no less) I am not sure many will be interested in comparing them. Maybe I am wrong, though.

20. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

I like the inside-out Shell Cordovan ones.... those are cool (the loafers to the right of the blue suede)

But these shoes are expensive!

http://acontinuouslean.files.wordpre...ry_bass_18.jpg

I guess the Horween is stamped on the outside of the shoe, rather than the inside.

[​IMG]