• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Allen Edmonds store in Socal coming

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
We were at South Coast Plaza today and saw the barricade advertising the coming soon (summer 07) of an Allen Edmonds store (in the hallway leading to Saks 5th on the bottom floor), a few steps away from Ralph Lauren

Figure it might be of interest since there are quite a few here that live in the area

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
I don't know what your take is on this but South Coast Plaza is a great place to shop. I have noticed lately though that many of the old standby malls especially Del Amo have been slowly dying. Their recent upgrades I don't think are going to stem the tide. Store closings are still taking place as apparently some malls are not the place to hang out anymore.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I love SCP. it's a comfort place to go and check stuff out. Easy to get to, easy to park (usually) and the best Nordstroms in so cal. Then if you want you can go across the street to Nordstrom Rack (also one of the better ones) and hop down the 73fwy to Fascist Island, 10 min away.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
really?

I heard that del amo (my wife used to work at that macys) new upgrade actually surpassed that of the Grove and other upscale malls, but i have never been back since the upgrade so i wasnt for sure.

i live steps away from the south coast mall and it is a great mall to walk around in and eat and visit, but unless you are a woman or someone who likes the luxury labels, there really isnt much for men!

let see, brooks, polo, not much really else.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
SCP is a very comfortable place to shop and park, the parking layout is well done and vast so there is no problem finding a spot even during holidays.

i wonder why everyone calls newport fashion island "fascist island"? it is funny, but whenever i go there i have never seen or experienced anything that will make me think that?
laugh.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
i wonder why everyone calls newport fashion island "fascist island"? it is funny, but whenever i go there i have never seen or experienced anything that will make me think that?
laugh.gif

I don't know why the new generation calls it that, but when I was a kid in the 80s we were "radical punkrockers"
wink.gif
that thought expensive clothes were stupid and FI esp seemed a major perpetrator of that, with all the BMWs and Benz's in the parking lot. Ironically, it's become one of my fave places for a relaxing weekend shopping jaunt.

to quote LA band The Circle Jerks (this lyric applied to all places like FI)...

"Beverly Hills, Century City, everything's so nice and pretty, all the people they look the same, don't they know they're so damned lame!"

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i ve also noticed that newport fashion island,

no matter how busy the holiday/christmas schedule is,
fashion island is never packed full of shoppers like the other malls.

it is consistently at the same level of shoppers strolling around.

just goes to show some more proof that fashion island only appeals to the 'elite' and not really all that christmas bargain shopping to be had there which appeals to the 'common denominator' crowd.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shoe-nut
I don't know what your take is on this but South Coast Plaza is a great place to shop. I have noticed lately though that many of the old standby malls especially Del Amo have been slowly dying. Their recent upgrades I don't think are going to stem the tide. Store closings are still taking place as apparently some malls are not the place to hang out anymore.
Christ, serious nostalgia hot flash! Growing up, bumming a ride from parents or catching the bus to the Del Amo mall to or see a movie or just "hang out" was a major staple of our social life. I probably have not been there in something like 15-20 years. Indeed, it probably says something about the arc of my life experience that now, when someone refers to Del Amo, what immediately comes to mind is not the mall but the psychiatric hospital bearing the same name.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
no matter how busy the holiday/christmas schedule is,
fashion island is never packed full of shoppers like the other malls.

true, altho it might feel more packed now that they closed down the entire north parking lot for construction on a new lot/structure

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
to quote LA band The Circle Jerks (this lyric applied to all places like FI)...

"Beverly Hills, Century City, everything's so nice and pretty, all the people they look the same, don't they know they're so damned lame!"

Ha. This must be the first known Circle Jerks quote on SF, no?

When I cleaned out some boxes in my garage a couple of years ago I found the lyrics sheet from my long-gone vinyl copy of the Decline of Western Civilization. Now that brought back some memories . . . .

Material Boy

Reaction score
Bloomingdales is also coming to South Coast Plaza. The store is scheduled to open on May 2nd and is supposed to be the biggest Bloomigdales in Southern California.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Yea I'm looking forward to that....the FI and BevCenter Bloomingdales are tragedies

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Yea I'm looking forward to that....the FI and BevCenter Bloomingdales are tragedies
Century City is pretty much worthless as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads