• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Allen Edmonds Insoles?

Lawman

Reaction score
As most of you know, the mainline AE shoes used to have a really nice, heavy leather insole. I really liked it because it formed around where your toes and heel are, absorbed sweat well, looked good, didn't seem to absorb any odor, etc. For the last year or so they have a black insole, or at least a black covering, that has none of those attributes. I don't like it at all.

On another note, I picked up a pair of merlot PAs recently (black insoles), and the quality looks down to me. I don't think it is corrected grain, but the leather doesn't seem to have the same quality. And the toe of the shoe seems like it is very thin leather with a plastic toe-shaped piece under it. It just feels low quality.

I've taken some time comparing them side by side with older models, and it seems like these disparities are pretty pronounced, at least in my mind and eyes.

Thoughts?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've sworn off buying Allen Edmonds for now.

It has more to do with the overall look than quality though. Although frankly I would not be surprised if AE is cutting corners here and there.

InsBrokerTX

Reaction score
I've always liked AE's. However, the last pair I purchased, Park Avenues, seemed to be a little lesser quality leather than the other 6 pair of AE's I have. I also do not like the black insole.

Seems like they are trying to reduce the construction cost in order to maintain or improve margins.

LeicaLad

Reaction score
I also notice that they're not as nice as previously.

Can anyone suggest a quality but really thin insole that we can install in our new AE's that come with this lesser new insole?

Thanks.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are the new made in Italy styles black inner sole?

jmix1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeicaLad

Can anyone suggest a quality but really thin insole that we can install in our new AE's that come with this lesser new insole?

AE makes a couple of insoles designed to compliment their shoes. They can be found on the AE website under Shoe Care.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeicaLad

Some of my shoes are more comfortable with an insert, others not. I just buy the cheapie ones from the local drug-store and cut them to fit.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that the black insole (sockliner?) is stiffer but still appreciate the fact that it's full length. Other shoes I own of nicer/more expensive/more forum approved brands don't have a full length leather liner which causes the dreaded half liner to peel away upon foot removal if I'm not careful. It's a huge bummer for me. I also like having the smooth liner under my toes as it feels a little bit more luxurious. It's one of those little touches that makes it feel like AE is punching above its weight class so to speak.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't have any new ones, but that sounds like a shame. The old insole/sock liner was AE's pride and joy. I believe Ron Rider once called them "the best in the business."

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That seems like a bad reason.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lawman
On another note, I picked up a pair of merlot PAs recently (black insoles), and the quality looks down to me. I don't think it is corrected grain, but the leather doesn't seem to have the same quality. And the toe of the shoe seems like it is very thin leather with a plastic toe-shaped piece under it. It just feels low quality.

I picked up the same pair of shoes the other day as well (Merlot with the black insole) and compared to my other two pairs of PA's, Black and Dark Brown, they do seem somewhat less substantial. However, considering I got them for $39.99 at Last Chance, I'm not going to complain too much.
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads