• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New affiliate on its way - Japanese streetwear

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
If you can't afford it don't buy it. Why ***** about prices for luxuries like clothing?

I guess you're right. I'll delete it since they're an affiliate now and I don't really care very much but I still think the phrasing is inaccurate. That was the part I was taking issue with. Pricing is liberty.

datasupa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Since when is affordability an issue?

This place is going to hell.

x-posted and fixed for relevance.

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought some tees in medium from Jay and the fit is excellent. For reference, I have a 36 inch chest and I'm 5'10"....

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimaddict
Unfortunately, this is not my definition of affordable. But cool non-the-less.

+100

How exactly are $200 shirts and $100 t-shirts affordable?

Of course, they could price it however they want. I couldn't care less, but when I think affordable I think uniqlo/H&M.

denimaddict

Reaction score
Continuing with affordability since this store has its own thread now...

The price point is always an issue. It just goes hand in hand with clothing. Anyway, I consider MJK affordable, and H&M cheap. But this don't even matta'.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Definitely. I mean, i'm one of the smaller dudes on the forum (and i'm a boo s and 31waist jean which isn't that tiny) and i'm pushing it with the largest size available in tshirts. I mean, i like some of the stuff on the site (the khakis and other pants are nice too), but i just don't know how many styleforum guys are going to be able to fit into the tops.

Yeah, you have to be really careful about sizing. I'm 6'0", 150lbs with a 38 chest and size L is often too small. Also, pants are often an awkward fit since many of them don't have any space for your ass or junk.

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello, this is Jay at Atsui. I will try and answer some of your questions. For other information, please see our thread.

You may have seen our models Kylan (5'10" and 145 lbs) & Auston (6'1" and 165 lbs) on our websites. Kylan is size medium in Mr. Olive and MofM but small in Hys. Auston is a size large in Mr. Olive and MofM and medium in Hys. Due to request from a few of our customers, we are bringing size 1 MofM next season.

I am 6' and 170 lbs. I can fit in pants by Mr. Olive, MofM, and Hys. I have 2 pairs of Mr. Olive denim (both 32") and Hysteric denim (32") and they fit me just right. Hys will go to 36" waist, Mr. Olive & MofM currently stop at 32". As for the tops, I can wear MofM size 3 on most items, including button down shirts and it is a tight fit - the exceptions are a few jackets that are closer to a size 2 due to the tight design. I wear a large in all Mr. Olive cut & sew and hoodie items but am a bit too big in the chest for most Mr. Olive dress shirts and jackets - I can squeeze into them, but then I can't move. For Hys, I am a medium in t-shirts and large in jackets.

Here I am wearing MofM 3 button down shirt, Mr. Olive denim size 32.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...tokyo/MofM.jpg

Here is a close up of the MofM button down 3.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...ofMcloseup.jpg

Here is a Mr. Olive Hoodie in size large.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...tokyo/MOL2.jpg

Here is a Mr. Olive Hoodie in size X-Large. Mr. Olive just started making XL for us beginning with the 2008 S/S collections in cut & sew and knit items.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...okyo/MOXL2.jpg

We are the only boutique that carries Mr. Olive and Stodja in USA; Hys has had its official LA headquarters since 2004. One NY boutique BBlessing also carries MofM.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
I guess you're right. I'll delete it since they're an affiliate now and I don't really care very much but I still think the phrasing is inaccurate. That was the part I was taking issue with. Pricing is liberty.

I think that we should differentiate between "affordable" and "inexpensive".

H&M, Uniqlo, these are inexpensive brands. Unless you have minimal or no income, a purchase from Uniqlo is not going to stretch your budget at all. After all, a shirt is cheaper than a entree at a decent restaurant.

By affordable, I mean that the items are within reach of most people's budgets, whether on a regular basis or as a special occasion shopper. So, *most* of the brands discussed in this forum are affordable. I'd say that the brands carried at Atsui are actually a little less expensive than a lot of the brands discussed on this forum. Contrast this with expensive brands, like that T(h)oms, or Carpe Diem, or Raf Simons, the retail prices of which are beyond the reach of most consumers, under any circumstance.

In any case, Atsui has terrific things on sale. I got a Mr. Olive long sleeve polo made from a very nice double faced jersey with a really interesting yoke (front and back) and a nice cut (be aware that at 5'11" and 160 lbs, a large is slim on me.)

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I would like to discuss a bit more on our pricing. Most Japanese labels that are made and designed in Japan are high in price, but the quality of the materials used and the close attention to details warrant the designers list price.

I also do not want anyone to think we mark our prices outrageously high. We try to keep our pricing reasonable and most items are only $20-$40 higher than what you would actually purchase in Japan, which is very reasonable after shipping and duties are involved. For SF members, a 20% discount will be very close to the Japanese retail price.

Now, as far as affordable, IMO our current labels are affordable when compared to the Paris Collection Japanese designers like Comme, Yohji, or even Number (9).

To change the subject a bit, Atsui is coming close to our 1 year anniversary and we are announcing our 1st anniversary sale which will begin this coming Saturday. I will post further details on our thread. There will be several items that will be priced between 30-50% off including sping jackets, denim, shirts, & accessories. I will offer sales prices to SF members prior to the start of the sale.

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
One of our staff, Yuki, is a BoO small and wears Man of Moods size 2 tops & medium Mr. Olive which he says is a similar fit. Yuki is 5'7" & 145 lbs. You can see Yuki in several items on our blogsite, www.shopatsui.blogspot.com.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I think that we should differentiate between "affordable" and "inexpensive".

H&M, Uniqlo, these are inexpensive brands. Unless you have minimal or no income, a purchase from Uniqlo is not going to stretch your budget at all. After all, a shirt is cheaper than a entree at a decent restaurant.

By affordable, I mean that the items are within reach of most people's budgets, whether on a regular basis or as a special occasion shopper. So, *most* of the brands discussed in this forum are affordable. I'd say that the brands carried at Atsui are actually a little less expensive than a lot of the brands discussed on this forum. Contrast this with expensive brands, like that T(h)oms, or Carpe Diem, or Raf Simons, the retail prices of which are beyond the reach of most consumers, under any circumstance.

In any case, Atsui has terrific things on sale. I got a Mr. Olive long sleeve polo made from a very nice double faced jersey with a really interesting yoke (front and back) and a nice cut (be aware that at 5'11" and 160 lbs, a large is slim on me.)

You've got PM.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics