• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New AE Weybridge creasing normal?

Reaction score
Hello Styleforum,

I Just purchased a pair of brand new AE Weybridges. After about three wearings (each lasting about 4 hours with some moderate walking), they have developed some creasing as you might expect. When not in use, the shoes are stored with shoe trees and wearings were separated by about 2 weeks. To my mind, the left shoe is creasing very nicely, but the right seems to be creasing in a deep and unsightly manner. Could this indicate some problem with the leather? Is this normal? Thank you for your advice. Here are some pics:

StigasaurusRex

JamesK

Reaction score
Im flying to the US for a 2 weeks and was planning on buying a few pairs of AEs - I do not normally wear shoes for weeks or months after purchase - I will make sure to wear the AEs before leaving US - great forum - very informational.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Weybridges are 3 years old, worn 1 to 2X a week, and they have not creased like your right one.

Reaction score
Hey guys! Thanks for the replies. I will contact AE tomorrow and send them the pictures and see what they can do.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Styleforum.
It appears that you are hard on your shoes to begin with. These are perfectly acceptable characteristics of leather. Stop whining and get out there and wear the hell out of them. Use shoe trees when they are not in use and do not wear them every day.

Last edited:

LeJouvre

Reaction score
The problem shoe literally looks like the creasing you would expect from dry cardboard. This tends to suggest that the shoes were probably quite dry when you first put them on.

It is always a very good idea to feed the leather well before you wear them for the first time, who knows how long they were left out to dry out on some store room shelf before you got them?

AE will probably replace the shoes without too much bother, but do yourself a favour, when you get the replacements, try not to wear them, or even to bend them at all until you have applied a good leather nourishing product to them. I promise you, the difference in the way which a well nourished brand new shoe takes to the form of your foot will be absolutely amazing.

Harrydog

Reaction score
My suggestion is to Lexol the hell out of the vamp before you wear them for the first time. I have found that can be quite helpful in preventing marked creasing.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't find that crease offensive. It would bother me if the other shoe wasn't creasing the same way (I like symmetry). That aside, I agree with previous posts; condition the shoes first with Saphir, Venetian shoe cream, or AE conditioner.

Reaction score
Interesting! It never occurred to me to condition the leather before the first wearing, but that makes a lot of sense. I'll be sure to do that with my new pair of McTavish's!

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The McTavish is a "rough" shoe, waxy leather. It's not meant to be polished. Be careful you don't over oil the leather.

thecentennial

Reaction score
Interesting post, my Farifax have a very similar pattern. Left shoe = "normal" creasing, right shoe "deep creasing".

Going to the point made about dry leather - my shoes were left for 12 months with no conditioning prior to the first wear - this may have contributed, as suggested.

Not sure why the left shoe didn't crease in the same manner, but leather is not a synthetic, it has it's own idiosyncracies.

zero neck

Reaction score

The problem shoe literally looks like the creasing you would expect from dry cardboard. This tends to suggest that the shoes were probably quite dry when you first put them on.

It is always a very good idea to feed the leather well before you wear them for the first time, who knows how long they were left out to dry out on some store room shelf before you got them?

AE will probably replace the shoes without too much bother, but do yourself a favour, when you get the replacements, try not to wear them, or even to bend them at all until you have applied a good leather nourishing product to them. I promise you, the difference in the way which a well nourished brand new shoe takes to the form of your foot will be absolutely amazing.
that's a good tip, thanks.
The McTavish is a "rough" shoe, waxy leather. It's not meant to be polished. Be careful you don't over oil the leather.
interesting. that pretty much only goes for the rough line of ae's?

Publius

Reaction score
Did you wear them while driving?

Reaction score
Nope, Just walking around town. The creasing on the right shoe happened pretty much after the first step...

In any case, I just contacted AE and they are evaluating the creasing based on the pictures posted above. Hopefully they will take care of it. Thanks again for all your advice!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads