• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Never fly United!

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually fly United and have only had a couple issues, certainly nothing worth writing them off for good. I have to agree with the general sentiment that most US airlines just are not that great, United really being no better or worse than the others.

puddles

Reaction score
United lost my bags twice on my last trip to Europe. Once on the way there, and then again en route home. I don't know if that's their fault or not, but their staff pretty much sucked in response to my problem. Poor me.

I would agree that their planes are generally not as nice, and the perks in Biz class seem a bit less refined. I will avoid them on my next trip, based on my last experience, though I can't say I'd write them off for good.

kasper007

Reaction score

probably united. pre lie-flat seating in united were lay-z-boy style. pre lie-flat seating in continental (pod-style) were tight and compact looking ... and as far as i know, have all been retired

unfortunetely, half the fleet still have recliner seats in business for long-haul international flight (as per seatguru)
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/information.php
i was also under the impression that recliner seats had all been retired until a month ago (i actually changed from a flight with AA cause their seats are flat, but have a bit of angle and thought all united were lie-flat). a little bit in disbelief that in 2012, an airline would charge you 4-5K each way for a night flight in a lazy-boy.....

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
United biz has that arrangement with the front facing and back-facing paired rows, it's really stupid. I can't imagine the instance of large groups flying together and needing to conference on a long haul flight like that, Biz class is usually full of men flying alone. I rode from Seoul to SFO like that and just tried not looking at the person facing me.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

United biz has that arrangement with the front facing and back-facing paired rows, it's really stupid. I can't imagine the instance of large groups flying together and needing to conference on a long haul flight like that, Biz class is usually full of men flying alone. I rode from Seoul to SFO like that and just tried not looking at the person facing me.

were you aisle?
the overlap is not bad from window.

also the back-facing flat bed makes a bit of sense if you are pitch-sensitive, as the plane maintains a slight nose-up attitude in flight

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I dont understand how United could lose an economy plus seat if youre holding an economy plus boarding pass.

+1

Something doesn't add up.

And dude, never tell the agent you're never flying with that airline again. You've just removed any incentive they have to help you... ******* dumbass.

The only problem I ever had on United was flying First Class from SFO to London. They actually ran out of meals and the old, crabby stewardess was quite rude to my wife to boot. (my wife is a sweetie) Fortunately we were on Lufthansa on the return flight and the service/food/wine was so good I didn't want to get off the plane.

How in the hell does that happen in first? Every time I've flown business on United the stewardesses are always happy to be their and thus, nice.

It is a little odd that arrangement.

Also, I don't get it, I fly a whole bunch on "bad" and "good" airlines and TBH... none of it really matters to me. I can't explain it I'm pretty ambivalent about flying and I've found if you're in coach it sucks. Period. But I can sleep anywhere so not really a big deal to me. I've had truly outstanding service on United and Delta, like, write a letter to the airline because its so great. I've also had middling service. And on the good airlines, sure it was good I guess. Doesn't change the fact I'm crammed in a tube with 140 other people. You were nice taking my bag after I used the check in kiosk? Big whoop. IRDK.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
op screwed himself when he didnt buy the ticket with option to change

you're that hopping mad because they didnt give you the $25 gift voucher when they verbally promised they would? the other people in this thread have a right to be angry. i dunno about you

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lufthansa is great. The food on first class out of FRA is the best I've ever had. My last trip on Lufthansa had me connecting out of DUS where the food isn't nearly as good

Any carriers other than US ones tend to be much better in the food department. I've had excellent food on Lot, Aer Lingus, and Austria Air. Incidentally, these are the only non US carriers I have flown on. I think the rule is just that US carriers suck.

RR-NYC

Reaction score
Lufthansa is great. The food on first class out of FRA is the best I've ever had. My last trip on Lufthansa had me connecting out of DUS where the food isn't nearly as good

Any carriers other than US ones tend to be much better in the food department. I've had excellent food on Lot, Aer Lingus, and Austria Air. Incidentally, these are the only non US carriers I have flown on. I think the rule is just that US carriers suck.

Yes, food on non-US carriers are better but the food on Lufthansa first class out of FRA is exceptional. One of the things this airline is known for

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've never had good food on an airplane before, it's vile, it's overcooked, it's never really good quality food to begin with; they really should just keep the champagne coming and give better charcuterie and cheese plates they can make ahead of time, maybe some of those little French ready-bake breads that come pre-cooked and you just warm them through. Quality over quantity there. The demands to keep the food coming only bring the quality down. JAL serves sushi in the forward classes but it's awful stuff, you can get better at a supermarket fridge case or a convenience store in Japan for $5. Their free snack you can request anytime is cup ramen. In coach they serve Yoshinoya beef bowls now, the same thing you can buy for $2.50 in Japan. This kind of stuff is not even worth eating. Come to think of it, the Yoshinoya was actually the best thing I've eaten on a plane when served with pickles on the side, but that's not saying much, it's Yoshinoya.
There's definitely the possibility for better food on airplanes, it's really not the hardest concept to master, but I doubt we'll ever see it.

junior varsity

Reaction score
flew continental last year before they merged and service was not bad...
i flew to china twice for business and once during the big winter storm out of newark, nj, and flight was not delayed a bit
after hearing all the chatter about united... i am thinking to jump ship now...

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All US airlines suck.

They could improve the experience by hiring young friendly attractive women instead of these rugged gruff old maids.

I've never had good food on an airplane before, it's vile, it's overcooked, it's never really good quality food to begin with; they really should just keep the champagne coming and give better charcuterie and cheese plates they can make ahead of time, maybe some of those little French ready-bake breads that come pre-cooked and you just warm them through. Quality over quantity there. The demands to keep the food coming only bring the quality down. JAL serves sushi in the forward classes but it's awful stuff, you can get better at a supermarket fridge case or a convenience store in Japan for $5. Their free snack you can request anytime is cup ramen. In coach they serve Yoshinoya beef bowls now, the same thing you can buy for $2.50 in Japan. This kind of stuff is not even worth eating. Come to think of it, the Yoshinoya was actually the best thing I've eaten on a plane when served with pickles on the side, but that's not saying much, it's Yoshinoya.
There's definitely the possibility for better food on airplanes, it's really not the hardest concept to master, but I doubt we'll ever see it.

I've only flown JAL once, in business class, and I enjoyed the food. Luckily it wasn't crappy sushi but a typical Japanese breakfast instead. Very clean taste. This was about.. four years ago?

Last edited:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

It was more than issues, they lost my reso and my seat in econ+ which I paid for and wouldn't honor., etc, etc.  Let them go bankrupt again and not bail the assholes out.

lol u paid for economy plus?

SMALL TIMER

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I've never had good food on an airplane before, it's vile, it's overcooked, it's never really good quality food to begin with

is it salty?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads