Never fly United!

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Edgein, May 7, 2012.

1. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

United screwed me over big time when I was flying to Thailand last year. I had a stop over in Tokyo and they delayed the flight for hours without giving us any information. Finally, they made an announcement that the flight was canceled but no one was actually working at the gate. We had to run to the other side of the airport to get hotel vouchers. Once we got to the other side of the airport, no one there knew we were coming so we had to wait several more hours before they sorted things out. While waiting, they were kind enough to give us $5 food vouchers for McDonalds (10). Finally, they bussed us out to a hotel and told us that when we checked in, we would be given details on new flights. Of course no one at the hotel knew anything about flight arrangements so I spent the next few hours on the phone trying to get a flight the next day. There was nothing available and I was told I would probably have to wait 3 days for a flight. By this time, I had been awake and travelling for 30 hours and was approaching delirium. Finally I just decided to fuck it and booked a new flight with Japan Airlines. They were wonderful.

tl;dr never flying with United again.

Last edited: May 7, 2012

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

arrived in Denver for a transfer. Jet had a mechanical issue so they put us up in a nice hotel over night and gave us $500 vouchers. not bad

Last edited: May 7, 2012

3. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

USAir once stranded me in Chicago, the plane arrived late and everybody involved with their airline left the building (they stop operations around 6:30 there or something stupid. United bailed me out, getting on the line with the USAir people to get my flight transferred, and got me on a direct flight to my final destination. A 4 hour mess ended with me only being an hour late.

Of course, the next time I flew, it was United, and that was simply fubar, but that wasn't United's fault. It was an awful storm + Air Force One flying out the same day, and it involved three different airlines over a 23 hour period, and they all fucked up on that one... Too long a story to type out right now.

4. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

ive put so many miles on united all the horror stories are now like scrambled egg. even as elite for consecutive years ive never liked them. then relocated from a united hub to a continental hub, had a good year on continental , then bam -- united bought em up again, with their old planes with no power or avod.

but like its been said, ALL us-based carrier are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

the only redeeming thing about united is premium service from new york-california

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Just flew AA internationally a few weeks ago Joffrey, booze was free. Food was abysmal. I'm sticking with AA though, because they fly to st Louis and code share with JAL. I don't have too many problems with planes when I'm traveling on my own, probably because I fly out of Seoul or Tokyo half the time.
    Those airports tend to fly planes out on very good time.

6. MikeHeath

MikeHeath New Member

Try flying Emirates ... They are pretty good and there CS is awesome. Lovely Air Hostesses ;-)
    boot camp in cary il

Last edited: May 12, 2012

7. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Trompe why don't you use your united miles while flying with a partner airline? Miles generated among partner airlines (star alliance? I forget the name) are interchangeable - I flew Qatar Air a few years ago and put them on my United Mileageplus account. Whenever possible I never fly with a US jet overseas. Only used Continental/United to Nigeria because of short layovers.

8. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

award availability on *a partners tends to be difficult

9. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

The only problem I ever had on United was flying First Class from SFO to London. They actually ran out of meals and the old, crabby stewardess was quite rude to my wife to boot. (my wife is a sweetie) Fortunately we were on Lufthansa on the return flight and the service/food/wine was so good I didn't want to get off the plane.

10. RR-NYC

RR-NYC Active Member

There is no doubt American carriers lack compared to Asian and Middle Eastern airlines but flight delays in the US are more likely because of air traffic or weather than the airlines themselves.

There are very few places, if any, that have as many planes in the air than in the US at any given time

11. RR-NYC

RR-NYC Active Member

Lufthansa is great. The food on first class out of FRA is the best I've ever had. My last trip on Lufthansa had me connecting out of DUS where the food isn't nearly as good

12. RR-NYC

RR-NYC Active Member

Not on Star Alliance. I use my United miles for Lufthansa without issue all the time for flights and upgrades. Using United mileage plus miles on their own airlines is a joke. Their partners are far more willing to accept the reward travel

I refuse to fly AA or any Oneworld member because their rewards are the worst of all the three big ones. If you fly BA from JFK-LHR, for example, you cannot earn AAdvantage miles because it's a competing route with AA. You cant even use your AAdvantage miles to book a flight on that BA JFK-LHR for the same reasons.

13. Trompe le Monde

Their international upgrades vouchers (SWU/GPU) are only good on United (sometimes LH). And being in a hub means I can take the direct, rather than a stop.

Mileage redemptions are done with other carriers, for sure! The last *A was for Lufthansa First through Frankfurt.. impeccable service!

In general, I find AA availability much much better. Although that is on AA flights, not partner. And there's some niceties you can find, like Cathay westbound. Did a cathay to Bali with allowed layover in HK... very nice even if the herringbone seating on 747 is old

14. kasper007

kasper007 Senior member

funny thread, i have to follow-up with united today on one of their screw-ups. They have by far the worse customer service of any company in the world. i have been told more than once while being stranded somewhere on United's fault by an employee that he/she didn't care about my problem. actually, i had a dude at LAX walked out on me to go home while i was already delayed 1+ day on a flight to Sidney. on a recent flight out of O'Hare, they left our suitcase next to the plane on the tarmac, after someone complained like 10 times, the pilot finally called ground crew, instead of loading the bags into the plane, they took them away and the plane left without our suitcase. they have tried to charge me through the roof for baggage that was part of the allowance, wouldn't give me a boarding pass cause i showed up 27 min before a connecting flight in Boston and then were like, sorry there's no flight for 2 days you have to wait (my luggage ironically made the connection). last month, i had to argue 30 min to change a flight that was the same price anyway cause i had booked a night flight from Sao Paulo in business to Newark and realized at the airport that it was through an old plane with lazy-boy style seats (didn't even know that these were still in operation, old Continental apparently...)

the cabin crew are generally fine, but the ground staff is just the worst.

15. Trompe le Monde

probably united. pre lie-flat seating in united were lay-z-boy style. pre lie-flat seating in continental (pod-style) were tight and compact looking ... and as far as i know, have all been retired