• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nettleton shoes.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I the "how many shoes" thread Jerrysfriend had a very long list of his shoes. Surprisingly Nettleton shoes were not represented. The company went out of business at least 10, if not 20 years ago. I have never seen any of their shoes, but they were considered the superior American manufacturer (better than Alden, A-E, Florsheim, the lot).

Maybe it's just an urban myth and they weren't that good at all (you know how the memory plays tricks: "they don't make "˜em like that any more). Does anybody on this list own a pair of Nettletons, maybe inherited from Dad, and are they really superior shoes?

Bflotom2

Reaction score
biggrin.gif
I owed a pair of Nettleton Cordovan Shoes year & years ago but their fit has remained my standard. I remember purchasing the shoes in Syracuse in 1981 or 82 at the factory store. I slipped my size 12's into them and told the sales person "I'll take them". I never looked at the price. I was married with a newborn at home. Translation I couldn't afford them but I got them. They shined like new until I finally threw them away in 1994 or 95. The upper finally split and was worn out. There have been many pairs of shoes but there has never been another pair of Nettleton's

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
My sister ended up with a couple of pre-buyout Nettletons from, shall we say, an "estate" source. They were in great shape still in their boxes. To my untrained eye they were the equal of Alden, a very nice split toe. Sadly, they were too narrow for me (I think they were A's). She sold them on ebay, one pair to Japan.

I think they probably were a great shoe company.

dport86

Reaction score
i'd hear the legend of nettleton as well. bought a pair of vintage Nettleton Traditionals in brown gator from ebay, complete with boxes and bags. Styling was a little conservative, and surprisingly, workmanship and finish were not up to my expectations. Unlike my same model French Shriners (v-tip, split toe, lace-up bluchers), the edges on the vamps were not turned or piped. unevenly cut and sewn. perhaps these were late (all rubber soles) but from the style, had to be late 60's very early 70's at the latest. I've heard that their pebble longwings are the best, but I'm still looking. The pair I bought off ebay turned out to be a fake--terrible seller (meggakat) beware!

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dport86
i'd hear the legend of nettleton as well. bought a pair of vintage Nettleton Traditionals in brown gator from ebay, complete with boxes and bags. Styling was a little conservative, and surprisingly, workmanship and finish were not up to my expectations. Unlike my same model French Shriners (v-tip, split toe, lace-up bluchers), the edges on the vamps were not turned or piped. unevenly cut and sewn. perhaps these were late (all rubber soles) but from the style, had to be late 60's very early 70's at the latest. I've heard that their pebble longwings are the best, but I'm still looking. The pair I bought off ebay turned out to be a fake--terrible seller (meggakat) beware!

I am extremely dubious that anybody would fake NOS Nettletons.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up my second pair of Nettletons, they are superb, shell plaintoe. I will post a pic in 2011, probably August. Watch for it.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I just picked up my second pair of Nettletons, they are superb, shell plaintoe. I will post a pic in 2011, probably August. Watch for it.

*holds breath*

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
it is funny how each reply was in a different year

For me as the OP, back in 2004, it is interesting to see that the topic did get four replies today.
That is twice the number of replies it has gotten in the previous five years.

Talk about delayed reaction!
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

jmacak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
For me as the OP, back in 2004, it is interesting to see that the topic did get four replies today.
That is twice the number of replies it has gotten in the previous five years.

Talk about delayed reaction!
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

Hi

Me too. I have four pairs and they seem to be of uniformly high quality and seem to be older styles. All of them are black, though.

I wonder if they guy above got a pair that were manufactured when they were trying to revive (or reuse) Nettleton--was that in the '80s or so?

-j

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my Nettletons came in a box, it does not look like it could be from the 70s. The design screams 1990ish.

nettleton_tan.jpg

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I have some Nettletons.

Or I might have sold them to distinctive. I hope he sees this and he'll remember.

If I still have them, any I'll take pictures later.

I remember them as very nice quality though I don't really know if you can say they were superior or not to Aldens.

Another oldie maker, I'm sure that I have is some NOS Franck Bros. shoes. These are real nice and appear at least as nice as Aldens to my untrained eyes. I'll try to take pictures of them.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
One of my Nettletons came in a box, it does not look like it could be from the 70s. The design screams 1990ish.

nettleton_tan.jpg

No box, but here are mine:

p1012175ji8.jpg

p1012177wo9.jpg

p1012180bj1.jpg

p1012179ta0.jpg

I have and have had some others. A forum Nettleton archive would be a good thing. I'll dig up pics of my others.

Keep in mind that later in life, Nettleton turned out some subpar shoes, but in its prime I doubt there were any better from a domestic maker.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads