• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Nettleton Shoes....any info?

hyakku

Reaction score
So I grabbed a pair of these today at a thrift store on a whim because I really liked their construction, look and feel. I tried searching while I was in the store but the only thing I could pull up on here were two threads started a few years ago with a few random responses, but these don't really look like any of them posted in that thread and seem to have a completely different sole than the others. From those threads it seems that the company went out of business but at the same time I can't imagine these shoes being too old, could they? Any recent info would be good, both those last threads were updated two years ago.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great old maker, out of business. Same fate as several other nicer US makers, who by and large died or went downmarket.

hyakku

Reaction score
That's what I read in those other threads, but I'm pretty baffled as the inside sole, as you can see, are literally almost untouched, but the shoe has some wear on the bottom so I know they've been worn. All I can pull up on them is an old website though so thanks for the input. I thought they might have licensed out their name or something, but still would be satisfied with these. It's unfortunate their so narrow as I'm sitting here realizing I probably can't fit these comfortably without shaving off part of my toe

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Nettleton, the World's Slowest Made Shoes, was a higher end brand in its prime, with quality really second to none among the USA makers. In the later years they made some shoes of unfortunate design, I think eventually outsourced some shoes and then tanked.

Those are size 9B, by the way, not 9E (as you mentioned in the thrift thread), and they aren't shell. They are a classic American design and color combo, however.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations hyakku those are nice! I love the chunky metal eyelets on them.
Sad to see so many of the great American shoe makers are gone. Wear them!

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 16 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 81 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 155 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 79 16.6%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 40 8.4%