• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neti pot anyone?

Reaction score
Been considering the purchase and use of a neti pot to irrigate my sinuses. Anyone have experience? Plastic, copper, ceramic, clay or stainless steel? I think I will start with sinu-cleanse as it is cheapest and widely available.

Try a yahoo video search------the results are hilarious.

But seriously, anyone do it?

tangerine

Reaction score
I don't, but my brother swears by it.

He also has a large collection of neti pots in different materials. I don't know what his favorite is.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been using a neti pot for about 5 years. I love them, notice more difference after using a neti pot than any sort of sinus medication. I started out with a smaller one also, but eventually moved up to a stainless steel one from healthandyoga.com. Just be sure to follow the directions given to clear your sinuses after you are done with the pot. Leaving water in your sinus cavity can lead to infection, the few minutes spent blowing it out is well worth it.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
I've been using a neti pot for about 5 years. I love them, notice more difference after using a neti pot than any sort of sinus medication. I started out with a smaller one also, but eventually moved up to a stainless steel one from healthandyoga.com. Just be sure to follow the directions given to clear your sinuses after you are done with the pot. Leaving water in your sinus cavity can lead to infection, the few minutes spent blowing it out is well worth it.

how long does the whole thing take you?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shouldn't take long at all, probably as long as brushing your teeth. That is, doing the recommended amount though, one cup (one half of the pot) through each nostril. Of course I overdo things and refill that sucker 3 or 4 times so it takes me longer. I do it at night, once every month or two.

I've recommended Neti to some friends and some of them make it wayyyy to complicated. The water has to be precisely the correct temperature, there has to be EXACTLY the proper amount of salt, etc. No need for that much worry, its about what you are comfortable with, no need for precise measurments. (being meticulous with it is what's going to eat up all your time)

Reaction score
I ordered the stainless steel neti pot off of that yoga site. We shall see. I will report back, but NO PICS, so don't even ask.
plain.gif
BTW: I got a series of 4 emails after I placed the order. In one email, they offered to find me a personal instructor on the usage of said device. Let me think about it, umm... NO!!!

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol denim, an instructor is completely unnecessary. let us know how you like it. if you find that you are extremely congested, you can add a pinch of baking soda along with the salt to really get things flowing quickly. the first time you try, you might have to be patient with it while the water first works its way through.

obsessis

Reaction score
I use the healthandyoga.com neti pot also. It works well.

Reaction score
I have been staring at this GIGANTIC neti pot for a week----with abject fear.

Will try it out today, after a few slugs of whiskey. I keep thinking about the pain of inhaling saltwater in the ocean whilst swimming----it doesn't help that I am hydrophobic in general.

::deep breath::

I'm okay, you're okay.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey no need to fear! It is NOT painful in the least! It is just awkward the first time because you aren't used to it.

Just keep in mind to 1. breathe through the mouth, 2. don't swallow, let your spit dribble out your mouth if it builds up in there...if ya swallow it might push some water back into your throat. 3. VERY IMPORTANT: follow those directions for clearing the excess water out of your sinus when you are finished. If you leave any water in your sinus cavity it could result in an infection. I go through the little nose blowing routine they have printed twice, and it works well for me.

I know I probably made it sound bad with those things to keep in mind, but really once you try you'll see it is no big deal. The best way I can describe how it feels is having a bowel movement through your nose. I find that pretty pleasurable heh.

Oh yes, and if you feel a slight sting, that means you need to add a little more salt. It should be completely painless, and even enjoyable.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You might try working up to it by using some saline nasal spray. When I feel a head cold coming on, I sometimes use that to flush my sinuses by tilting the bottle on its side. I always do this in the shower where my sinuses are opened up in the first place.

Reaction score
Done! It was waaaaay easy. No pain. I regained my sense of smell----it had been greatly diminished for ten years, I thought it was due to all the bleach and ammonia I used as a barista. But now it is back. Thanks for the advice! My Neti pot is my personal treasure, I cherish it always! (paraphrased from the box)

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
You might try working up to it by using some saline nasal spray. When I feel a head cold coming on, I sometimes use that to flush my sinuses by tilting the bottle on its side. I always do this in the shower where my sinuses are opened up in the first place.
What brand do you use?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
What brand do you use?
Generic, I think it says "compare to Ocean (tm)" on the bottle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads