1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Netflix instant movie suggestions

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by abeezy21, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Netflix just got the Robocop remake, and still has the original version as well. Nihilist Double Feature, anyone?

1 person likes this.
  2. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

The Robocop remake was pretty terrible. Robocop 2 was better than that.

The most important film of our time is Norwegian, Trollhunter. It's genius.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Original RoboCop is 5/5.

Remake is 1/5.

1 person likes this.
  4. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

After seeing Birdman clean up at the Oscars, this had to be watched. It is awesome. Also, I can't wait to watch Trollhunter.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

This isn't a movie, but Mad Men is available for streaming on Netflix. My favorite show; I don't know how many times I've watched it through. This trailer for the final half season gave me tingles.

[​IMG]

6. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Holy shit Bloodline is good. Ben Mendelsohn is fantastic.

7. wizzeak

wizzeak Senior member

Just started last week. Halfway through, it's pretty good.

8. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Really liking Bloodline, as well.

9. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Anyone watching Daredevil? I'm hooked!

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I got through 2 episodes and it really didn't do anything for me YET. I will continue to watch.

11. 1911

1911 Member

Yes! All is Lost, with Robert Redford. He plays an aging sailor, navigating the Indian ocean single-handed when a floating cargo container rips a hole in his hull. The film is basically him fighting the elements and the gradually degrading seaworthiness of his vessel.

It's a moving and suspenseful film.

2 people like this.
  12. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I'm 3 eps into Bloodline and I don't recommend it.

The guy who plays the black sheep brother is good, but that's it. The writing is lazy. And every episode they have some scene near the end that has zero context, but you know it will be clear the more you watch. They have done this kind of lazy teasing in every episode so far. 3 hrs into this and you can kind of barely see a hint at a plot. It's so fucking slow. Im going to watch 1 more eps then decide.

I'm also pretty late to get into it, but I started watching Trailer Park Boys and it's very enjoyable.

13. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

All is lost is fucking amazing.

14. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Bloodline was great (much better than 3rd season of the US House of Cards, for instance). It may benefit from bingeing, as it's true that some episodes are a bit slow. Overall I think the story could've been told just as well (or better, tighter) over 10 episodes instead of 13, but it was definitely worth a watch.

I could've done without the last 5 minutes or so (and that one scene where someone is watching those two guys comming out of that house, also from the last episode).

15. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

What's Lazy about the writing? What I didn't like about the scenes you refer to is it killed some of the shock/surpise, but that was the intention. What's quite interesting and thought provoking is how they get there. I'm curious (nervous) about where they plan to take the show from where the season ends.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  16. 1911

1911 Member

Two Sailing Docus:

Wild Eyes, and Maidentrip, both about very young women determined to sail around the world, single-handed.

Also really good so far: Tracks, a true story about a woman solo-trekking across Australia in the 1970s - already
    a better and more engaging that Wild, with Reese Witherspoon.

17. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

watching daredevil

i wish people teaching actors mandarin would explain to them the concept of tones. it's like they're just memorizing words off a script

18. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Why? No one that matters will notice.

2 people like this.
  19. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

It really bothers me. It would be like if you were watching a chinese movie where the actors had English lines but never bothered really learning what the vowels sound like

Comes out sounding like gibberish and it takes you out of the scene especially when they're trying to convince you the actor is fluent in that language

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  20. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I can imagine the writers sitting down and making a basic archetype for every character. "Ok, this one brother, he's a hothead. He gets angry all the time. The other brother, he's the responsible one. He wants everyone in the family to be harmonious. And the sister, she has needs something to hide...lets have her have an affair."

And from that, you have one brother who is angry in like 60% of the scenes he is in. I watched the 4th episode, and he only has two scenes where he isn't holding a bottle of beer. John(responsible brother) has said "That would make mom upset" more times than I can count. And the flashbacks are a joke at this point. I saw the 4th episode and I think they had the dad have flashbacks of the little one 4 or 5 times in just one single episode, and they had 2-3 flashbacks of the same thing in the previous episode. It's just ridiculous. We have seen this character in flashbacks ~7 times and they have yet to speak a single word about this character. This is not the way to build anticipation.

Danny only confronted the Dad in the ending of the 4th episode. This is the main conflict of the show and only begins after 4 long agonizing hours. That would be fine if the 4 hours was filled with character development and a fleshed out back story. Instead of a back story we have vague flashback scenes with no explanation. Look at this show and all we know about the characters and how far the plot has advanced and then compare that to how far along True Detective was after 4 hours. The only saving grace is that it's filmed in the Keys, which is a magical place.

I bet when I finish this show and look back at the first episode, Danny could have read whatever he wrote on that piece of paper he had when he was going to give a speech in front of his family and community at the end of the first episode and the show would be much better for it. Or he could have confronted the dad at the end of the first episode ("You want me to go away, Dad? It's going to cost you.").