Netflix instant movie suggestions

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by abeezy21, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

My sister actually started the show this past Xmas. It was hilarious the way she would ask questions that we all asked during its original run. "Wait, so the Others are civilized? Who was that other group they hid from in the jungle? What's the smoke monster? How come Ben is still alive if Sayid killed him in the past? Which timeline is real now?" :laugh:

It was a great show (Season 1 especially) but seeing her binge watch that really put things in perspective.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014

2. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

Not really. I enjoyed the time theorizing and being part of the conversation about the show.

3. phoni

phoni Senior member

Derek - watched it recently; Gervais is a bit hit and miss, as far as I'm concerned, but this was good. Very good. I don't think the show needs another season though - short and sweet.

Outrage - I've always had a weak spot for Takeshi Kitano (Kikujiro was my first exposure to him, and it's still one of my top 20 films). Outrage is the typical Kitano yakuza flick - plenty of sudden violence and amoral characters playing out a Shakesperean tragedy (don't expect any good guys though, we're talking about Kitano here).

4. gort

gort Senior member

Wife was out having a girls night so I got drunk with my dog and watched Escape Plan. It was everything I hoped and expected it would be.

5. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

Yeah all the speculation and discussion (and time spent on 4815162342.com) were 80% of the fun.

6. grundletaint

Not a movie but Lillyhammer is fucking hilarious. Was really skeptical of it going in and it did start a little messy but it has turned out to be highly entertaining.

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

It has it's funny moments but the plot and characters are not a strong point. Conflicts are always immediately resolved. People have no depth of character. Everything is always too neat

8. grundletaint

I find the episodic nature of it pretty refreshing because I don't typically watch these kinds of shows. The Norwegian dudes are funny and they way they deliver their lines amuses me. I'm not sure if that's due to the way they speak (racist!) or the actual lines but the acting and the way it's filmed make up for the plot issues, IMO.

9. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Fantastic show. A few episodes to go. Who knew Peggy Olson could be attractive, bad ass, an not annoying?

10. grundletaint

Is it worth getting into House?

11. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

It is reasonably good for a serial for a season, but after that it is the same thing over and over again. Nothing worth going out of your way for, and I am fairly sympathetic to Laurie from his days with Fry.

12. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Here's some advice. Don't get into Heroes. Or drop it after the first season. Definitely drop it after the second. Do not start to watch the third under any circumstances.

13. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Not movies but I have been into the British series lately:

**Gavin and Stacey-Gavin & Stacey is a British romantic situation comedy that follows the long-distance relationship of Gavin from Billericay in Essex, England, and Stacey from Barry in the Vale of Glamorgan, Wales.

I really liked this. Funny stuff. Netflix only has season 1 available. I watched season 2 & 3 on Amazon Prime. The guy who plays the best friend of "Gavin" is one of the writers and very funny on the show.

**The Syndicate-Five-part drama by Kay Mellor, following five supermarket workers whose lives are turned upside down when they jointly win the lottery.

This was also not bad. The 5 workers win the lottery but each has issues before/after the win.

**Survivors-When flu decimates the world's population, a scrappy group of survivors struggle to live in a world without electricity, running water or government.

Not finished with this yet. Also off to a good start.

14. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Dredd with Karl Urban was surprisingly decent

15. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I suppose I'm late to the game on this, as the movie's not that obscure, but Pain and Gain was really entertaining. Managed to play to the strengths of some fairly marginal actors by going gleefully over the top.