• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Netflix instant movie suggestions

arced

Reaction score
Watched Zodiac (2007) the other night and rather enjoyed it. A good thriller, but it stayed true the actual story.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed both Orange is the New Black and House of Cards. However with regard to the latter, the UK original was better. Netflix has that on streaming as well.

Anyone mention Dollhouse yet? That was one of my early discoveries. Dollhouse and Nikita are kind of brainless but worth watching.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I enjoyed both Orange is the New Black and House of Cards. However with regard to the latter, the UK original was better. Netflix has that on streaming as well. 

Anyone mention Dollhouse yet? That was one of my early discoveries. Dollhouse and Nikita are kind of brainless but worth watching. 

It's one of the greatest TV programs of all time, IMO. Ian Richardson's performance was flawless.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I couldn't get through half of the first ep of Orange is the New Black. What is it that's supposed to be good about this show?

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dollhouse is pretty weak, and I'm an admitted Joss Whedon fanboy. The Season 1 finale was easily the best episode of the entire run. Eliza Dushku just isn't a compelling enough actress to carry a series, especially one with a weak premise.

Now Firefly, on the other hand, had the potential to be amazing, if it wasn't killed shamefully early by the programming savants at Fox. If you haven't watched it, you should give it a try.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Dollhouse is pretty weak, and I'm an admitted Joss Whedon fanboy. The Season 1 finale was easily the best episode of the entire run. Eliza Dushku just isn't a compelling enough actress to carry a series, especially one with a weak premise.

Now Firefly, on the other hand, had the potential to be amazing, if it wasn't killed shamefully early by the programming savants at Fox. If you haven't watched it, you should give it a try.
I came to it late, but was a fan of firefly. I think Buffy is actually more impressive, though.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I came to it late, but was a fan of firefly. I think Buffy is actually more impressive, though.

Of course it is. BtVS was one of the best shows on tv. I consider the episode "The Body" one of the most powerful things I've ever watched.

Firefly was lower profile and more likely to be missed, so I thought it worth mentioning.

deepitm

Reaction score
This is not a Joss Whedon fanboi thread. Stop trying to make it one.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is surprisingly good and managed to sustain the high quality over many seasons. Not surprising since Joss Whedon knows how to write dialog and develop interesting, but light, characters.

It's funny, but I have recently got my girlfriend hooked on Buffy. She never watched it before and knew very little about the show and its characters. I have been enjoying going through the early seasons with her. Best moment so far was watching the reaction to her face at the end of "Surprise" and the formal revelation on what transpired in "Innocence."

We are a little more than mid way through season 3 at the moment. I'm questioning my determination for the show once we hit 6 and 7 as the writing and production values start to falter.

FWIW, I often find myself torn on what I prefered as a whole. Buffy or it's spin off Angel. I'd probably call Buffy the superior and more culturally important show overall, but I truly loved what Joss was able to accomplish with Angel and it's more adult themes.

Don't get me started on Firefly. I hate Fox to this day for canceling it so early. Could have gone on to be one of the greatest shows ever made, had the time been there to develop it. Re Watching those episodes now always feels like a (wonderful) cock tease to me. Movie was a lot of fun, but no substitute for what might have been.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watched Naked today for the first time in years. Such a dark movie but the writing and acting are so great and unconventional. I was reminded while watching it that my daughter has a bit of a crush on David Thewlis (from his role in Harry Potter) and that if she ever watches this movie it's going to **** with her head even more.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Watched Zodiac (2007) the other night and rather enjoyed it. A good thriller, but it stayed true the actual story.

That movie is so great. If it hadn't come out the same year as No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood, it probably would be more well regarded. What a great year for movies that was.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is not a Joss Whedon fanboi thread. Stop trying to make it one.

I can't believe there are grown men fawning over Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I saw a few episodes of it as a teenager and I can't recall any redeeming qualities beyond I had a crush on the main actress for a bit.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads