• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Netflix Canada

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any other Canuck try this yet? I'm doing the one month free membership, and I have to say I'm severely disappointed.

No new releases, and it seems to be missing a lot of old movies as well. I just looked up a couple of old favourites; Fargo and Contact, neither were available. (If it's in the IMDB top 250, it's probably not on Netflix)

I was somewhat pissed, but oh well; at least I have the TV selection...

Not so. Name a good show. It's not on it. Name a recent show, same thing. No Simpsons, Sopranos, the The Wire, Friends, anything. No Venture Bros, Fringe, Breaking Bad......

I understand that they have problems airing stuff in Canada due to licencing, but seriously, this is pathetic. Why release a product such as this and then fail to deliver so spectacularly?

If they ever do get the ability to stream these shows and movies,I would expect they would be hard pressed to win back customers.

P.S: Is the US selection at all comparable to this?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
pretty sure every single movie you mentioned is on the us netflix

jesask

Reaction score
My brother has the Canadian netflix. It's pretty sad.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jesask
My brother has the Canadian netflix. It's pretty sad.
For starters, Canada Post sucks more than the USPS.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has Mad Men. Otherwise it seems to add things pre-2008, pretty much all the movies that came out during the HD disc wars.

Since the library is smaller, I don't like the recommendations so I keep up with the library additions on this site: What's new on Netflix Canada

For me it's only $9 and they don't really care where you stream from so I lent the account out to my parents. Father likes the documentaries.

I also started giving away or throwing out DVDs or even electronic copies if it can be streamed.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wait, netflix US started out pretty lame too. I have been a subscriber since about 2000/2001. I know the licensing in Canada is a nightmare compared to the US.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm on the free month. I use zip.ca to get blu-rays shipped to me. I'm using netflix just for the streaming and I have to say that the image quality sucks ass. And my projector bulb died so i'm not even watching on my normal 110" screen, but on a teensy little 1920x1200 24" monitor.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMO Netflix in USA is great. The only movies I have trouble finding are the old, hard to find, B-movies the gf and I are into. And even then, 90% of the time, they have what we are looking for.

As far as shows that are streaming.....well, if you want the latest and greatest you'll be disappointed. But I like **** like Cheers, so Netflix is great for me.

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
I ran my list of movies that I want to see (~1600 titles) through it over the course of about a day or so, and Netflix Canada only the barest fraction of them available. At this point, it's hardly worth the money, so I'll wait to see if it actually goes anywhere.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Netflix Canada is a disaster. An embarrassment compared to the US version.

Imagine if we got real Netflix, Hulu, ABC on the iPad and BBC iPlayer. Bye bye frigging
Rogers!

The powers that be up here are quite happy to maintain mediocrity.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why is licensing in Canada such a nightmare? It would seem like a pretty simple thing (says the guy who has nothing to do with the entertainment industry).

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Netflix Canada is a disaster. An embarrassment compared to the US version.

Imagine if we got real Netflix, Hulu, ABC on the iPad and BBC iPlayer. Bye bye frigging
Rogers!

The powers that be up here are quite happy to maintain mediocrity.

I long for the day when i can subscribe in some fashion or other to just the shows i'm actually interested in. I don't have cable and just download everything because i refuse to be forced to pay 60 bucks just to watch 1 show that happens to be on hbo. it would be different if i could just order HBO or something, but they force you to buy basic cable even if you never ever watch it. So instead of some revenue, they get non.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I cancelled it after the free trial. What a joke.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads