• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Netbooks?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steggy
i got the asus. ended up being 270 rather than 240. but it's still pretty nice for just taking to classes.

Is it the original eee or the 900?

What are the specs?

How is typing/screen on it? I think i'd have a hard time using anything less than the 95% keyboard for any productive note taking.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone own the Lenovo S10? Impressions?
I ordered one on Tuesday.

Cavalier

Reaction score
I just purchased an S10e (slightly smaller resolution then the regular S10) for $289 shipped from Buy.com

Atom 1.6 ghz, 512 ram, 80 gig HD.

Spent another $10.99 shipped from Newegg for an extra gig of ram.

I am looking excited!!

Becareful not to invest too much money in one right now because there will be dual processor models Q4 of this year.

$300 investment, it's brand new--- not a bad deal. I still see old IBM T23-T30 selling for $200+ on Craigslist.

Better netbook deals are sure to come soon, but I want one now so I placed an order. You should start seeing a lot of the cheaper models start selling for around $200 in the next month or so.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nerdykarim
Anyone own the Lenovo S10? Impressions?
I ordered one on Tuesday.

One of the better Netbooks for sure. Just ordered one too.

Very high quality construction/keyboard compared to Acer or Asus IMO.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The low price on these things is crazy. I got the consumer model (not the S10e) for $314 from the lenovo.com/cpp site. I'll spend $17 on 2 more gb of ram from newegg when it comes back in stock and will probably use this thing more than my 14.1" T61.

Cavalier

Reaction score
The low price on these things is crazy. I got the consumer model (not the S10e) for $314 from the lenovo.com/cpp site. I'll spend $17 on 2 more gb of ram from newegg when it comes back in stock and will probably use this thing more than my 14.1" T61.

I plan on selling my old T42 while it's still worth something and just stick with the netbook.

The price point of these makes it seem pretty obvious this will be the future of computing. Granted these first generation netbooks leave a lot to be desired, but I don't see why the average person would spend more money on a used, bigger laptop??

Not everyone needs a super powerful machine. I am going to keep my netbook clean, and I guarantee it'll zip around the internet on it no problem.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The low price on these things is crazy.
I got the consumer model (not the S10e) for $314 from the lenovo.com/cpp site. I'll spend $17 on 2 more gb of ram from newegg when it comes back in stock and will probably use this thing more than my 14.1" T61.

Originally Posted by Cavalier
I just purchased an S10e (slightly smaller resolution then the regular S10) for $289 shipped from Buy.com

Atom 1.6 ghz, 512 ram, 80 gig HD.

Spent another $10.99 shipped from Newegg for an extra gig of ram.

I am looking excited!!

Becareful not to invest too much money in one right now because there will be dual processor models Q4 of this year.

$300 investment, it's brand new--- not a bad deal. I still see old IBM T23-T30 selling for $200+ on Craigslist.

Better netbook deals are sure to come soon, but I want one now so I placed an order. You should start seeing a lot of the cheaper models start selling for around $200 in the next month or so.

DId you guys get 3 or 6 cell batteries?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier
I plan on selling my old T42 while it's still worth something and just stick with the netbook.

The price point of these makes it seem pretty obvious this will be the future of computing. Granted these first generation netbooks leave a lot to be desired, but I don't see why the average person would spend more money on a used, bigger laptop??

Not everyone needs a super powerful machine. I am going to keep my netbook clean, and I guarantee it'll zip around the internet on it no problem.

Hmmm

Yeah technically all you need to compliment then netbook at home are a big monitor, keyboard, mouse - and you're all set..

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
DId you guys get 3 or 6 cell batteries?

3 cell.

I don't think this model can be purchased with a 6 cell battery in the USA (though they can easily be purchased aftermarket). I may be wrong about that...I know that a lot of people really want the six cell battery.

Honestly, I'll be taking it to school and plugging it in...even a six cell battery probably couldn't handle 5-6 hours of school (and youtube/music/hulu during breaks) without being plugged in. I also didn't want the battery to stick out from the form factor of the case.

I'm going to keep my T61 at home, since I don't have a desktop and I'd like to keep something with a DVD burner and a larger screen to write longer papers. And also, to beat Connemara at DotA from time to time.

Bring The Noise

Reaction score
i got the asus 940ha eeepc and its great. perfect for school and its less than 2 lbs!

does anyone know of a good site that offers ram upgrades tho?

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bring The Noise
i got the asus 940ha eeepc and its great. perfect for school and its less than 2 lbs!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148234

^^ that's what I'm planning on putting in mine, though I don't know for sure if it will work in yours. I'll get an auto-notify email when it comes back in stock...my understanding (from the slickdeals.net forums) is that it comes back in stock relatively frequently.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3 cell.

I don't think this model can be purchased with a 6 cell battery in the USA (though they can easily be purchased aftermarket). I may be wrong about that...I know that a lot of people really want the six cell battery.

Honestly, I'll be taking it to school and plugging it in...even a six cell battery probably couldn't handle 5-6 hours of school (and youtube/music/hulu during breaks) without being plugged in. I also didn't want the battery to stick out from the form factor of the case.

I'm going to keep my T61 at home, since I don't have a desktop and I'd like to keep something with a DVD burner and a larger screen to write longer papers. And also, to beat Connemara at DotA from time to time.

I love the 6 cell battery. 5-6 hours even while running video if you manage the power options and screen brightness correctly.

The battery does make it a little bit more bulky however.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bring The Noise

any 200 pin laptop ddr2 memory will work. just google the upgrading instructions for your model.

took me about 2 minutes to change mine.

Cavalier

Reaction score
The S10e I just ordered has a 3 cell battery.

I know I can get $300 for it on Craigslist locally, which I plan on doing when a better machine/better deal comes around. I've seen the S10 in person and really like it, I think I will be trying to stick with these IBM machines.

I was worried about buying an Acer or Asus, having it break on me some how and being out all my $$, and the resale value just isn't the same.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads