• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Netbook question.

Unbreakable

Reaction score
So here's my problem I just encountered. I built, what to me was, a near perfect netbook for my needs, but after taxes and shipping its $580.57, which to me seems extreme for a netbook, taking into consideration I can get a decent quality laptop for that price. So would you go ahead and pull the trigger on the netbook or buy a laptop? Take into consideration, that I currently only own a desktop. The netbook is super sweet, but the price is not, so do I go for convenience and pricier or a laptop that is more functional at the same price or cheaper. so many questions
confused.gif

x26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unbreakable
So here's my problem I just encountered. I built, what to me was, a near perfect netbook for my needs, but after taxes and shipping its $580.57, which to me seems extreme for a netbook, taking into consideration I can get a decent quality laptop for that price.

So would you go ahead and pull the trigger on the netbook or buy a laptop? Take into consideration, that I currently only own a desktop. The netbook is super sweet, but the price is not, so do I go for convenience and pricier or a laptop that is more functional at the same price or cheaper.

so many questions
confused.gif

That's a good question; One I have been pondering myself.
I have 2 great desktops, 2 nice laptops and a Nice-soon to be replaced PDA phone--Do i need a netbook too??

Maybe consider a Laptop with a 14 in widescreen-They're not so big? A T series IBM/Lenovo?

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's driving up the price so much? Solid state drive?

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threak
What's driving up the price so much? Solid state drive?

Nah not SSD, its the new HP 311; upgraded to 2gb ram and win7 that adds about $80. Shipping/taxes are almost $100 which pissed me off
frown.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ummm....how about if you say, perhaps, what you're looking to do with it and all? Primary use, secondary use, what your travel habits are like, etc?

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Ummm....how about if you say, perhaps, what you're looking to do with it and all? Primary use, secondary use, what your travel habits are like, etc?

General word processing, movies, music, browsing the net, a place to dump pics while on vacation, travel several times a year. Also just a fun tool to take with me to friends houses, coffee shops, and other random locales.

My main thought is will I feel like I wasted money on the netbook when I couldve gotten so much more in a laptop for roughly the same price. What's everyone opinion there?

x26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unbreakable
Nah not SSD, its the new HP 311; upgraded to 2gb ram and win7 that adds about $80. Shipping/taxes are almost $100 which pissed me off
frown.gif

Specs look good:
Hardware
Product Name 311-1011TU
Product Number VT110PA
Microprocessor 1.66 GHz Intel Atom Processor N280
Microprocessor Cache 512 KB Level 2 cache
Memory 1024 MB (1 x 1024 MB)
Maximum Memory 3 GB
Video Graphics NVIDIA ION LE
Keyboard 92% Full size keyboard
Pointing Device Touch Pad with dedicated vertical Scroll Up/Down
Hard Drive 160 GB (5400 rpm)
Display 11.6" Diagonal HD LED BrightView Widescreen Display (1366 x 768)
Network Card Ethernet 10/100BT integrated network interface
Wireless Connectivity 802.11b/g WLAN

Bluetooth
Sound Altec Lansing speakers
Keyboard 82 key (92% Full size)
Pointing Device Touch Pad with dedicated vertical Scroll Up/Down
External Ports 3 USB 2.0
HDMI
VGA
RJ-45
Headphone-out/Microphone in combo jack
AC adapter

Dimensions 28.9 cm (L) x 20.4 cm (W) x 1.98 - 3.06 cm (H)
Weight 1.46 kg
Power 65 W AC Power Adapter
6-Cell Lithium Polymer (26Whr)

The only thing that bothers me is the Lack of CPU power. Otherwise looks nice.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Buy a Blackberry for $300. Verizon is giving away HP Netbooks with the purchase.
Sounds like a good deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads