1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Net-a-porter to carry Tiffany's, leading to 1) does Tiffany's suck? 2)Living in flyover country

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by cyc wid it, Apr 13, 2016.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Re Tiffany's:

Branding is obviously important, and contrary to what a lot of people like to contend, it has real value. Otherwise, trademarks would not be so important. You can obviously disagree that it is important to you, but I don't begrudge Tiffany's for being successful in promoting its brand. If you want corporate targets, Tiffany is not an obvious one.

From the vantage point of someone living in San Francisco, or LA, or some other large city, $19/hour is barely making it. However, for much of this country, it's pretty damn good. And that you get to work in a modern facility, and probably get benefits, even better. To put things into perspective, the national median salary is somewhere around $33K/a, and the average HHI for a family of 4 is $58K. While this is not high, it's not unlivable in much of the country either. Outside of areas where there is a concentration of universities and skilled workers (so, the Moscow Pullman area, and then Spokane), where the housing prices are slightly above the national average of $250K for a 2-3 bedroom house, there are plenty of houses for $100-120K in this area. On a 30-year fixed mortgage, at current interest rates, the average mortgage payment would be about $600-700/month. Let's allow for housing insurance for low down payments, and all of that, and say that the average mortgage is $900. That is an annual housing cost of $108K, which puts the worker at $19/hour well above the critical housing level, and frankly, living pretty comfortably.

2 people like this.
  2. LA Guy

Damn straight.

3. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

wait wait wait wait i only make 200k but i am definitely middle class so does that mean the median person is very poor?

1 person likes this.
  4. LA Guy

Ah, the Styleforum humblebrag. I always like this. Especially when you can't quite tell if it is a joke or not.

5. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

200k would make you just shy of a 1% here (officially).

6. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

8. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

9. LA Guy

You are poor if you work for money rather than making money work for you.

10. LA Guy

I don't like having people under me. So I bought the building. Of course, I only use the penthouse. That and the helicopter on the roof.

11. Viral

Viral Senior member

What's the point of this thread?? Are people mad a t Tiffanys because they make a profit? If so, they must not like capitalism.........or the planet earth.

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I don't like capitalism......or the planet earth. Not too keen on Pluto either.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  13. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior member

What about Uranus?