Net-a-porter to carry Tiffany's, leading to 1) does Tiffany's suck? 2)Living in flyover country

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by cyc wid it, Apr 13, 2016.

1. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Also, net-a-porter will be selling select Tiffany's jewelry designs for a "limited time".

2. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Net-a-PVC.

3. kiya

kiya Brand Representative Affiliate Vendor

That's unfortunate. Tiffany's jewelry is one step away from being a complete scam. The fact that people consider it "fine jewelry" is amazing to me.

4. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Tiffany's makes excellent jewelry in their high end segment. You must be looking at $600 silver-plated napkin rings.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016

5. kiya

I'll have to disagree.
    They mass produce everything they make in factories and only 50% of what they make is actually made by them, the rest is outsourced to even larger jewelry making factories.
    Let's not even get into the fact that nearly all their solid gold jewelry is gold plated (over the gold).

EDIT: One more.. they send their jewelry which requires a stone setting to a friend of mine who's a master setter, he sets the jewel, sends it back to them, they photograph it for their catalog/site, then have the pieces mass produced in a factory.

6. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

And yet panties drop when tiffany jewelry is given.

7. Mr. Moo

I mean... I'm pretty sure a giant machine isn't setting their 5 ct. diamond rings. So if by "mass produced in a factory" you mean there are jewelers who all happen to be working inside of a nice, bright, air-conditioned room, in good working conditions, with employee benefits and workers compensation coverage, then yes - they are mass produced. Much like Patek Phillippe is mass produced.

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

You can't compare jewelers and fine watchmakers, that is like comparing Toyota and Ferrari.

9. kiya

There is a huge difference between jewelers and watchmakers.
    Also, their "jewelers" at their US factories which they own are paid about $19 an hour (which is far less than what any of my employees make working retail), i'd say that's quite sad considering the margins on their jewelry.

10. Mr. Moo

I am comparing production methods in two related industries.

What is the alternative that would make their jewelry better? An old man by himself in a small room making all of their jewelry?

11. kiya

In the style of Tiffany's there are quite a few options, just go into any decent high end jewelry store and you're sure to see many of the same designs (common designs, not Tiffany originals).

People buy Tiffany's jewelry because of the brand recognition, even the executives of the company have stated this in the press.
    A little transparency would be good and a pay for their employees which matches the retail price of the product they're selling.
    They're the classic corporation, it's all about take take take. Their newest factory in Kentucky.. they got 3 million dollars of tax breaks to open there so they can pay their jewelers $18.50 an hour to make their jewelry, all for a company that shows over $65,000,000 in profits a year.

12. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Combining a precut stone with a premade ring isn't even in the same league as assembling a complicated mechanical watch movement.

13. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

This is why i got to a whole seller to buy jewelry. There is no name on the jewelry but diamonds and gold are worth value. With Tiffany there is definitely a lot of branding going on. The funny thing is i can take a picture then go to any jeweler and have them reproduce the piece.

14. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Maybe I'm super out of touch, but $19 an hour to make Jewelry in Kentucky in a nice air-conditioned building seems pretty good. The people sewing your $3000 Rick Owens jackets sure as hell aren't making that

(or more related to Kiya, the people making denim in Okayama, maybe pretty relatable to the Kentucky of Japan, are making closer to $8 an hour)

15. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Yeah, but some 150-200$ jeans are much cheaper than 5-10k rings, right?