1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Nespresso Club

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by johnapril, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I don't particularly care for light but I enjoyed the last light special editions. Of course, those were flavored as well. It was a nice change of pace every now and then.

2. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

Wow wrong on so many levels... Only here would an espresso be considered an exercise in molecular chemistry or a luxury item. Where I'm from, it's as basic as tap water. I can guarantee you that my corner cafe in Paris doesn't measure the ground coffee in grams, nor does he have a clue where the beans were grown or roasted. It's just a cup of coffee - with the right beans/blend and a decent machine, it should be fine. Which is why nespresso has been so fantastically successful - it's aimed to all the people who care about a good cup of coffee and it's convenience. I've used it for more than 15 years, it's far from a novelty or anything new. Never understood the coffee geeks - they care about the process and ingredients far more than the end product. I would say that a vast majority of espresso I tasted that were made by geeks or their affiliated snub coffee stores were between terrible and acceptable. Very rarely better than a nespresso, even if they'd deny it. What I find truly telling and much more relevant is what coffee people who like good food choose (people with a developed taste). I get better coffee at Jean-Georges or Corton than at any of the stupid hipster nerd espresso bars. That's because they aim to serve things that taste good. Corton (and many other high end restaurants) use Nespresso by the way. And then there's keurig - that's just disgusting, coffee-flavored dirty dishwasher water. But then again, that's how I feel about most brewed coffee...
    So I'm "wrong" because you brought perspective from a different culture and entirely different context into play, then finished up with your subjective opinions on Keurig quality? Fucking retarded reasoning. Indicative of the "logic" used often on CE, however, so no doubt you will receive a round of applause here.

3. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

BTW, Angstrom is a measure of length, not mass.
    Perhaps I could have been clearer. I was talking about measuring the top line of the measuring cup/device/scoop/whatever, so I was referring to length in a sense. (Really, length as a colloquial measure of precision). Hence, the use of angstrom.

4. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

So I'm "wrong" because you brought perspective from a different culture and entirely different context into play, then finished up with your subjective opinions on Keurig quality? Fucking retarded reasoning. Indicative of the "logic" used often on CE, however, so no doubt you will receive a round of applause here.
    No, you're wrong simply because you're wrong. Which apparently upsets you greatly if you need to resort to insults like this. Do you need to go get a hug from metro or tomgirl or something to feel better?

5. duofold

duofold Well-Known Member

Had a Keurig for a couple of years. Use diminished to a trickle. Got rid of it. Have a Citiz for the last couple. Enjoy it very much. Use it all the time.

+1 on both counts, and everything else in between.

Wow wrong on so many levels...

Only here would an espresso be considered an exercise in molecular chemistry or a luxury item. Where I'm from, it's as basic as tap water. I can guarantee you that my corner cafe in Paris doesn't measure the ground coffee in grams, nor does he have a clue where the beans were grown or roasted. It's just a cup of coffee - with the right beans/blend and a decent machine, it should be fine. Which is why nespresso has been so fantastically successful - it's aimed to all the people who care about a good cup of coffee and it's convenience. I've used it for more than 15 years, it's far from a novelty or anything new.

Never understood the coffee geeks - they care about the process and ingredients far more than the end product. I would say that a vast majority of espresso I tasted that were made by geeks or their affiliated snub coffee stores were between terrible and acceptable. Very rarely better than a nespresso, even if they'd deny it.

What I find truly telling and much more relevant is what coffee people who like good food choose (people with a developed taste). I get better coffee at Jean-Georges or Corton than at any of the stupid hipster nerd espresso bars. That's because they aim to serve things that taste good. Corton (and many other high end restaurants) use Nespresso by the way.

And then there's keurig - that's just disgusting, coffee-flavored dirty dishwasher water. But then again, that's how I feel about most brewed coffee...

6. PL92106

PL92106 Senior member

Who knew that a little query about something called the Coffee Duck could cause such a stir. [​IMG] All I know is I'm a coffee fiend that likes my Peet's and wish I could combine it with the convenience of my Nespresso. BTW, WTF is wrong with [​IMG]? I've owned a can for 20 years - it's been sitting next to the similarly vintaged unwrapped Twinkie that still looks and feels as fresh as one made yesterday.

7. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Just purchased a Citiz (in red). Works as advertised. Love the zero mess and little clean up. Convenience is wonderful. Coffee is very good, too (non expert, here). Milk frother accessory is great.

Need some really nice espresso and cap/latte glasses. Ideas? Thx.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Don't get the shit that Nespresso sells. Its absolute crap.

9. A Y

A Y Senior member

Need some really nice espresso and cap/latte glasses. Ideas? Thx.

For demitasse (the little cups used for espresso shots), you can do far worse than Illy. Some people believe the shape of the cup, especially the bottom of the inside, can affect the taste of an espresso, so it's worth getting a proper cup.

--Andre

10. audiophilia

thx for the suggestions. In NYC for a week, so I'll have a good nose around.

11. A Y

A Y Senior member

If you're going to be in the city, then be sure to check out all the boutique coffee shops. They will certainly have good cups in stock.

BTW, this looks like a nice gadget for recycling Nespresso capsules:

http://www.outpresso-usa.com/

edit: a Google map of recommended espresso shops: http://www.espressomap.com

--Andre

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I just throw the caps into the recycling. Fuck the grounds. I wish Nestle would institute the damn recycling program here already.

13. A Y

A Y Senior member

But if you live in a city like Matt's, then the green gestapo may come after you for not composting the grounds, too.

--Andre

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I live in Florida. I'm lucky my building even has recycling at all.

15. audiophilia

16. audiophilia

If you're going to be in the city, then be sure to check out all the boutique coffee shops. They will certainly have good cups in stock.

BTW, this looks like a nice gadget for recycling Nespresso capsules:

http://www.outpresso-usa.com/

edit: a Google map of recommended espresso shops: http://www.espressomap.com

--Andre

thx bud

17. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I just throw the caps into the recycling. Fuck the grounds. I wish Nestle would institute the damn recycling program here already.
    Same, except substitute "garbage" for "recycling."

18. TheIdler

TheIdler Senior member

Well, looks like we're joining the cult. I love my Rancilio, but my wife (who gets up before me) does not. Sooo...we got the Citiz, and I think it's great. At my best, I can definitely make better coffee than this, but I am seldom at my best at seven in the morning. The Nespresso makes very good coffee, IMO...don't know if the hate here is really cause of the taste or all the other BS that surrounds the brand (which is admittedly annoying).

Anyway, now that I'm in THE CLUB, I'm going to ramp up the toolishness and ask what capsules you guys like and why?

19. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I like dark roasts, and Ristretto is my favorite. I also like Arpeggio and Indriya.

20. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

I like dark roasts, and Ristretto is my favorite. I also like Arpeggio and Indriya.

+1, also the Roma.

TheIdler, I'd recommend you order the welcome package. It gives you a little of everything to try.