1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Nespresso Club

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by johnapril, Dec 5, 2010.

1. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

So take you off the potential buyer list? If it wouldn't seriously screw up the aesthetics of the kitchen (and I don't think I can get that colour of Aster cabinet anymore) I'd pitch it.

lefty

2. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

If you ripped it out of the wall, and it was working, and my other machine was broken, and you were offering it to me for free . . . I would take it.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  3. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

I'll keep that in mind. Do you also want the built-in drawer that sits underneath to hold your capsules? Just realized that guy spent $600 on that.

Maybe I'll just break the apt apart and sell it for parts.

lefty

4. js4design

js4design Well-Known Member

Anyone else see an ad for free shipping this month if you use the mobile app? I ordered yesterday and realized I was charged shipping, and now the ad has vanished. Did they pull the promotion or am I imagining things?

5. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Some advice on the best way to get a decent tasting cup of coffee (not an espresso shot) out of the Nespresso machine? I have tried the blue and the gold Lungos and they are not great. Any hacks that people have tried that work? I generally have a nice complement of espresso capsules to work with. Are there after-market coffee capsules that work better?

6. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

That would be a lungo. However well it works in Nespresso machines is upon you to judge.

7. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

I have tried the two lungos and they are not great. I am asking if anyone has figured out an alternative.

8. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

what's the problem here? the lungo's all suck. the regular caps pull great shots. some people even like them as lungo's (just run more water through them). others make americano's out of the shots.

9. ama

ama Well-Known Member

Yes, get the stronger espresso capsules and dilute them with hot water like an Americano. Do not run more water than you would for a shot through the capsules, that ends up tasting acrid.

1 person likes this.
  10. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

11. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Yeah, but you can pull lungos from regular espresso machines. Acquired taste, but not totally off if done right.

The slideshow is stupid.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  12. ama

ama Well-Known Member

They don't taste that good coming out of regular espresso machines either so I'm not sure what you are getting at.

13. shibbel

shibbel Well-Known Member

PSA: Sur La Table now recycles Nespresso caps for free.

14. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Yes, it is. Did you enjoy it?

1 person likes this.
  15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I have been recycling them in my garbage can for a while now, big whoop!

16. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

I wonder how much it would cost Nespresso to include a few postage-free mailers with each order, so you can return the used capsules for recycling. Maybe charge 50 cents a piece so they don't get tossed and then used for trolling (like mailing Nespresso your toenail clippings). There might even be enough recoverable aluminum in the capsules to make it costless or even profitable.
    Since this has always been a knock on the product, I assume it is just too expensive.

17. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

I'm getting at that just because one doesn't like lungos from Nespresso doesn't mean one doesn't like lungos at all. Simply because you can't adjust anything. That's all.

I don't make lungi either. I hardly ever drink Americani either. It's either doppio ristretti (doppie ristretti? doppi ristretti? espressi doppio ristretto? :p) or cappucci.

18. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

do you make americanos from 2 shots aka pull 2 longos with 2 pods or do a longo on 1 pod?

19. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

No. You pull a normal espresso/ristretto or doppio and fill it up with hot water to your liking.
    You can also make it the opposite around. That is, first the water then the espresso/espressi on top. I think it's called a Long Black or something.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  20. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

It depends on the country. In the US that is just called an americano, in France I usually ask for Cafe Alonge, and I get an americano. It more or less translates to "coffee long".